22 gallon long Sps dominated build. 2 AI prime HD or maxspect 420r 180watt

Denis

Looking for a light that would look good over a Mr Aqua 22 gallon (36x12x12) SPS dominated tank. I have always kept my corals under China made 120watt fixtures since it was cost effective and still produced great growth and colors. However I do not like how bulky the fixtures would be with a tank this footprint. I'm debating as to what I should add whether it be led or t5. Any insight would be great since lighting is one of those things that I never played around with.

Any pictures?

How established is your tank? What about the health of your SPS corals? If you choose to switch to LEDs, be careful. I lost a number of HEALTHY hardy SPS corals due to switching to LEDs from T5s. I am sure I messed up the intensitiy, and acclimation but that's why I say take it slow with the LEDs and see how your tank likes them.

For a 22 gal, you could grab one of the AI Prime's that dfloydvt is selling for around $100 each (can't beat that deal in my opinion) - I think two primes would be an overkill. I am planning on using 1 Prime and 1 Prime HD on my 29 gal.

You could always do a MH + T5 combo too. I am sure someone has a fixture that needs a new home.

Edited by Reefoholic

Any pictures?

How established is your tank? What about the health of your SPS corals? If you choose to switch to LEDs, be careful. I lost a number of HEALTHY hardy SPS corals due to switching to LEDs from T5s. I am sure I messed up the intensitiy, and acclimation but that's why I say take it slow with the LEDs and see how your tank likes them.

For a 22 gal, you could grab one of the AI Prime's that dfloydvt is selling for around $100 each (can't beat that deal in my opinion) - I think two primes would be an overkill. I am planning on using 1 Prime and 1 Prime HD on my 29 gal.

You could always do a MH + T5 combo too. I am sure someone has a fixture that needs a new home.

Well I will be taking the rock out of my 50 gallon cube that has tons of healthy Sps which are already acclimated to LED's. However because the footprint of this tank is a little odd I want to make sure I can continue growing Sps in it but also have a nice looking fixture. I don't mind turning down LED's but I also don't want a diy looking fixture because this tank will be going into my home office.

(edited)

I'm really leaning towards having some t5 and I'm wondering if going with a 3ft dimmable ati 4 bulb would be overkill or not. Either that or going with what Matt said and going with some type of retrofit t5 kit and led strip.

Edited by Denis

Yeah I think I might go with a kit from rapid led whether it be the dual Aurora puck kit with a controller or just 3 watt LED's (20 or so) with a 2 t5 bulb retrofit dimmable kit on the sides.