DIY Reef Controller

molcott

so I have spent the last few days looking up stuff for a DIY Reef Controller and I still have no clue as where to start. all I want it to do is monitor PH and Temp and turn on and off lights fans and heaters. shouldnt be too hard right.

Theres a few articles around about using arduino to make a controller. I believe someone on here has done it also. If you want to get the feeling of DYI without actually soldering, you can use reef angel. They use the ardunio so it uses the arduino code. The community they have is pretty nice. I have one but never set it up because I had issues with it connecting to my computer so I gave up.

yeah I was hoping to build one for around 100 to 150 I think I will just stick to putting everything on timers

If you're exceedingly handy you could possibly do it for that price.  A well used reef angel might be available for around that price, but without many modules or network access, for instance.

If you multiply that by 2.5 you could get a new Vertex Cerebra on pre-order from BRS.  It's pretty sweet looking and almost tempts me to try it out. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cerebra-aquarium-controller-package-vertex.html

• 2 weeks later...