adamx

transitioning from 7year old 65g saltwater set up with hang on over flow and protein skimmer to 120g saltwater set up; 'all in one - reef ready' from Artfully Acryllic;

120g is going in exact spot 65g currently sits; will take some time, to set up the 120g system as it is new to me; tank on stand, proper placement, run power cords, etc.

appreciate thoughts/input on transition and substrate; more on LED lighting later

Substrate: mostly fish and live rock now; have crushed coral; have a shrimp that likes to burrow

QUESTION: stick with crushed coral which is least costly or go to 'sand'.

Transition:

Option 1: tear down 65g and move to another spot in room; set it all back up as is; when new tank is received, place, set up, prep, etc; advantage is that this gives me time to work through new set up process and prime the tank

Option 2: tear down 65g; remove from house; livestock maintained in 'waterproof' bins with heat, pumps, etc; set up new tank as above; transfer livestock to tank as soon as possible.

QUESTION: how is the tank primed so quickly?

QUESTION: water proof bins; confirmed this morning that storage bins purchased at Home Depot yesterday are not waterproof; suggestions for containers to maintain livestock and water during this transition. the bathtub, is an option?

I would use Rubbermaids... I've used them for sumps for years...

Also, when you get the new tank in and plumbed, all you really need to do is add the new saltwater you have made, add your l/r, add some bottled bacteria and the water from your bins (assuming your L/r stays in the bins with the fish so it stays live....)

Just make sure if it is a few days or weeks for this process you are keeping up on your water quality in the bins, and do a water change I'd say 3-5 days before transferring everything.

I basically did the same thing with my old system as I kept my tank up in the same room.

I would use Rubbermaids... I've used them for sumps for years...

Also, when you get the new tank in and plumbed, all you really need to do is add the new saltwater you have made, add your l/r, add some bottled bacteria and the water from your bins (assuming your L/r stays in the bins with the fish so it stays live....)

Just make sure if it is a few days or weeks for this process you are keeping up on your water quality in the bins, and do a water change I'd say 3-5 days before transferring everything.

I basically did the same thing with my old system as I kept my tank up in the same room.

Oracle reader; thnX. assume after transferring the l/r, I can almost immediately transfer fish; do I have to 'float' them again. where does one get 'bottled bacteria'. thnX again

If you have clean new water and use the old water to rinse your liverock and any substrate then I would just make the move over. You won't lose livestock or cause a spike if you don't stir up a lot of organics and then transfer them over to the new tank. I did tank moves for years where it would be a breakdown and set up over the course of several hours. I would set the new tank up and either fill it or have water on hand to fill it then drain off enough water for the livestock and also a few extra buckets. I would then use the tank water that I did not want to save to wash the remaining rock off in and then would use some of the water in buckets to rinse the rock before getting it ready to go in either buckets or styros. I would then transfer any substrate I wanted by stirring it up and draining the water, using the extra water to clean it out. It then got put into a bucket and added to the new tank. All of this took place over a few hours with no spikes. If you are just moving things across the house you can easily just make the move, no need to prime the tank as you mentioned. I would move the rock, then deal with the substrate as you see fit, and add the livestock last. Make some extra water so that you can do extra rinses as you see fit to avoid transferring detritus and organic waste.

If you have clean new water and use the old water to rinse your liverock and any substrate then I would just make the move over. You won't lose livestock or cause a spike if you don't stir up a lot of organics and then transfer them over to the new tank. I did tank moves for years where it would be a breakdown and set up over the course of several hours. I would set the new tank up and either fill it or have water on hand to fill it then drain off enough water for the livestock and also a few extra buckets. I would then use the tank water that I did not want to save to wash the remaining rock off in and then would use some of the water in buckets to rinse the rock before getting it ready to go in either buckets or styros. I would then transfer any substrate I wanted by stirring it up and draining the water, using the extra water to clean it out. It then got put into a bucket and added to the new tank. All of this took place over a few hours with no spikes. If you are just moving things across the house you can easily just make the move, no need to prime the tank as you mentioned. I would move the rock, then deal with the substrate as you see fit, and add the livestock last. Make some extra water so that you can do extra rinses as you see fit to avoid transferring detritus and organic waste.

Just Dave; good info; thanks for taking the time; I can build out a mini-project plan to help me get through this; my hope is, obviously, not to lose any fish in the transition; I have a pair of clowns for 7 years