CLOSED (have started a new tank) NEW 29 Gallon LED Setup

no rain, I live in DC. someone will come over to look at it this afternoon, we will know more then. I will share with you guys with pics.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the plumber came and cannot find the source of the leak. they will need to open up the ceiling and that's happening this monday. we are going to monitor it for now. 

would RODI create back pressure on the pipes?

No

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yeah, I turned it on again and no drips what so ever. The ceiling is bone dry with the RODI running. I guess we will find out Monday what the real cause is. 

Water values today:

PH 8.2

Ammonia 1.2

Nitrite 0.5

Nitrate 2

There is nothing in the tank but the rocks curing at the moment. The skimmer is going full force making good skim. 

Should I use any additives to start/fuel the cycle? Any ideas?

ITS ALIVE! I think there is some corraline algae :) the red spot in the rock. There seems to be a green spot coming up as well. I might introduce some phosphate absorbent media in the tank today.

8bd6dd76939c6a80975bfdf99b837e6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

I got a used Vortech MP10 Quiet Drive from eBay and I am so so happy with it! Now there are two MP10's in the tank, there is enough water circulation to move an ocean around :)

PS: The new quiet drive is amazingly QUIET! I am considering getting just the drive for the old one now. 

Edited by Reefoholic

I got a used Vortech MP10 Quiet Drive from eBay and I am so so happy with it! Now there are two MP10's in the tank, there is enough water circulation to move an ocean around :)

PS: The new quiet drive is amazingly QUIET! I am considering getting just the drive for the old one now. 

I got a new QD from BRS for my old MP10. The improvement in the reduction of motor noise blew my mind! It is so quiet now and there is definitely an increase in flow. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your old Vortech drives if you can.

On another note, HA is blooming in the tank. The lights are off but there is some residual daylight that gets in (no direct sunlight) and I think it is enough for the algae to bloom.

The skimmer is working 24/7 and making some good gunk, and I just made a 10gl water change to bring ammonia and phosphates down (I don't have a Phosphate test yet, should get one soon)

I am also planning on introducing some Phospban to absorb the rest of the leeching from the dry rock.

Phosphates down to  ~0.25

I turned off the lights for the curing process. Once the phosphates read 0, I will turn them back on. 

Stay tuned!

Consider leaving lights on and letting the HA grow so it will help to consume the phosphate naturally? I know it looks ugly, but it'll help and you'll use up less phospban. You can pull out the algae as it grows. It should starve itself out as the phosphate is removed.

Consider leaving lights on and letting the HA grow so it will help to consume the phosphate naturally? I know it looks ugly, but it'll help and you'll use up less phospban. You can pull out the algae as it grows. It should starve itself out as the phosphate is removed.

I'm of the same opinion. You're going to get an algae bloom regardless, just let nature take its course.

I'm of the same opinion. You're going to get an algae bloom regardless, just let nature take its course.

Lights are back on. 

BRING IT ON HA  :blast:  :blast: !!!

Today's values are:

Should I start adding critters?

phosphate 0.25 (API)

ph 8.2 (Red Sea)

alk 8 2.9meq/l (Red Sea)

Ammonia 0 (Red Sea)

Nitrite  1 (Red Sea)

Nitrate  50 (Red Sea)

Yup! Nitrates are shooting up. I am not in a hurry, still getting the hair algae here and there on the rock.

I kinda want to wait until I have corraline algae all over the rock; might be testing my patience tho.

When I previously asked about critters, I was thinking maybe a crab or a snail ?

Edited by Reefoholic

• 1 month later...

work has been absolutely crazy so as my new setup. I have been keeping up with my water changes, however MAN, those dry rocks from BRS are like PO4 factories... 

The HA is everywhere that light touches in the tank. My skimmer is going NUTS (I think there is something wrong with it).

More pics and information coming up soon. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I am looking forward to Xmas, which is my fav. holiday of the season!

I have started cleaning up the tank. I waited for the algae to build up and manually removed most of the algae off the rocks and glass by hand. Also vacuumed it up.

I have two new inhabitants in the tank now. I rescued a sickly hippo tang from my local Petco, and got a a sailfin as well. They have been happily grazing whatever is left on the rocks.

The hippo is doing so much better which makes me happy.

Pics to follow.  

Here is a much overdue update with pics.

I got three little damsels and some corals yesterday.

Started with some frags of a month, birdsnest, and trumpet.

71b310ee1e39f6c67f8b12cfe7fa04b9.jpg

ee74be44e44d42081344fa3d2d0e2baa.jpg

f422e4f454f6b004bcf7d0ed53c6bbd8.jpg

20160a59d449590d612d4e5abbca2694.jpg

Everyone seems very happy with lots of polyp extension so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I wanted to share my progress with you folks and ask for some advice. 

Update:

After the hair and slime algae invasion, I started using PRO Bio F from AquaForest and the algae steadily died off. At the moment, there is almost no algae on the rocks at all. 

I also purchased a small bucket of Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt since I would like to switch to that from Instant Ocean. However, the instructions on the bucket are in European units (kg/liters). 

Question 1:

Is anyone using this salt? How much to mix a 5 gal bucket?

Question 2:

Lastly, I am still tinkering with my AI Primes. I like the blue heavy coloring however have no idea how much red/green or cool white to add to the mixture. Any ideas?

Thanks a ton!

Q1: It would be good to weigh a cup or two of the mix if you can so that you can convert the kg/liter to cups/gallon. Does the mix show any sort of volume ratio (such as ml salt per liter saltwater)?

Q2: Not an AI Prime user, but aesthetcs is a personal choice. Adjust to where you like the look. Play around a little. 

Regarding Q1: Amazon lists the salt and states (in the product description) that 380g will salt 10 liters of water up to 1.024 sg.  That sg correlates to just about 32 ppt salinity. If you're targeting 35 ppt (or 1.0264 sg) then the amount of salt required for 10 liters of saltwater will be increased linearly to 416 grams. 10 liters is 2.64 gallons. So, according to this label, you need 157 grams (about 5.5 ounces) of salt mix to make up 1 gallon of salt water to 35 ppt salinity.

So now, all you need is the ability to weigh some reference volume of salt (such as a half-cup). Maybe a postal scale? (Be sure to remove the weight of whatever measuring cup you're using.)