CLOSED (have started a new tank) NEW 29 Gallon LED Setup

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved, let us know if you need a title change.

You are the BOMB duuude! Could the title please read "Reefoholic NEW 29 Gal LED Setup" ? Cheers!

No pics yet, I am going to the Home Depot today after work to get the wood cut for my DIY stand. I have a thread going on under the DIY topic if you would like to follow along.

In the meanwhile, I am in the process of gathering all my equipment from the attic; I cleaned my dosing pump, my Vortech MP10, the return pump took a nice vinegar bath, etc.

Things to order - for now  :wacko: :

1) New filters for the RODI unit

2) Mixing Salt

3) New overflow box ( Looking for suggestions! My return pump is an AQ1700 with 264-449-gallon per hour)

Here is a rough draft drawing of what it will look like

d86fc47e81f1fada12de697a53a4ee05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pics yet, I am going to the Home Depot today after work to get the wood cut for my DIY stand. I have a thread going on under the DIY topic if you would like to follow along.

In the meanwhile, I am in the process of gathering all my equipment from the attic; I cleaned my dosing pump, my Vortech MP10, the return pump took a nice vinegar bath, etc.

Things to order - for now  :wacko: :

1) New filters for the RODI unit

2) Mixing Salt

3) New overflow box ( Looking for suggestions! My return pump is an AQ1700 with 264-449-gallon per hour)

what kind of overflow are you looking for? if your looking for a hang on I have had good luck with the cpr cs100 on my 40g breeder

what kind of overflow are you looking for? if your looking for a hang on I have had good luck with the cpr cs100 on my 40g breeder

Hang on, YES! I was looking at CPR CS50, would that be enough for the return pump that I have? It seems like I can crank the pump up to almost 450 gph and the overflow can dump around 300 gph. Should I consider going for CS90?

I say go for the biggest your return can handle

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You thinking about a refugium in the sump? Or live rock?

Neither... I never had success with refugium setups. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

I dont run one. I am limited on space. But maybe someone else could chime in place. Ive heard great things about them keeping nutrients down and pods up.

(edited)

Here is a draft of how the overflow setup will be.

ae5d5f1ff03d481589e7285b958e04af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Reefoholic

also when you are ready to put it all together if you need an extra set of hands let me know if I have a day off I would be more than happy to help out

also when you are ready to put it all together if you need an extra set of hands let me know if I have a day off I would be more than happy to help out

Thanks bud! I might take you up on that.

Any live rock suggestions? I feel like the two years that I was on a sebatical from this hobby, things have changed...

I have a plate of marinepur cermedia in my sump and some live rock I got from quantum reef in my display

I have a plate of marinepur cermedia in my sump and some live rock I got from quantum reef in my display

Interesting. This is the first time I am hearing about Marinepur. How has your experience been with it so far?

These things are great. I have 2 brick in my sump. They will turn to sand after a while though. They had a booth at macna I believe and it was interesting to see their demonstrations. 

These things are great. I have 2 brick in my sump. They will turn to sand after a while though. They had a booth at macna I believe and it was interesting to see their demonstrations. 

Have you seen a noticeable reduction in bio waste nutrients in your system? Also, it says it is reusable, how so if they turn into sand after some time?

Also, how does one calculate the quantity needed? Given that I will have a 29 gal display and 20 gal SUMP, I will probably need something for about a total volume of 35 gal (give or take with the LR in the tank)

I had them in almost as soon as I started my tank so its tough to say but its essentially just a really porous live rock for bacteria to live. The turning to sand takes a long time depending on flow. Ive had mine for about 6 months and have only noticed the edges being rounded and sand below them and in the corners, but that sand could also be from the other pieces of live rock that I have in the sump. For yours one brick should be good enough I'd assume, but the way I look at it is more couldnt hurt. Its just more places for bacteria to hang out. 

I've seen people use them to seed their tanks when upgrading or transferring tanks.

I had them in almost as soon as I started my tank so its tough to say but its essentially just a really porous live rock for bacteria to live. The turning to sand takes a long time depending on flow. Ive had mine for about 6 months and have only noticed the edges being rounded and sand below them and in the corners, but that sand could also be from the other pieces of live rock that I have in the sump. For yours one brick should be good enough I'd assume, but the way I look at it is more couldnt hurt. Its just more places for bacteria to hang out. 

I've seen people use them to seed their tanks when upgrading or transferring tanks.

Oh I see, do I need a refugium setup or could they be in the dark?

That im not too sure of but I dont think bacteria requires light. I might be wrong and someone else should probably chime in on that part.

Considering the marinepur blocks, I would just try to accomplish that with live rock. Essentially all it is is an ultra porous material that provides more surface area for your beneficial bacteria, unless you're going to go ultra minimalist with your aquascaping, it's probably not necessary.

I am a huge fan for keeping this as simple as possible (KIS) The hardest part about setting up your tank is going to be waiting for as long as possible, even after your tank has cycled, to let everything develop. I honestly believe the longer you can keep a tank setup without adding livestock, the more success you'll have. Then when you do start adding things, do it slowly, so the tank adapts. If you have the patience to let your tank run for 90 days without adding livestock, you should do it.