Pump suggestions for getting salt water - basement to first floor tank

bluce

I'm trying to make water changes easier.

I'm setting up a rubber maid for salt water mix / storage in the basement.

When I want to do a water change I would like to unwind a hose from the container to the tank - probably will need about 18' head pressure.

Does anyone have any good economical pump suggestions - other than a $180 mag 18 or $300 -$500 reeflow?

It seems like most magnetic drives have max head of 12' or less.  What other types of pumps would work.

I will only be using it for short periods of time.

(edited)

<edited - can't offer to sell something in this forum. Let me send you a PM.>

Edited by Origami

• 2 months later...

The one from Home Depot may work, but I would be a little scared that it might not be marine safe (not sure it could be fine but I have not come across anyone using them). Personally would look for a cheap used mag 18. I picked up a very used mag 9.5 for the same purpose. Works well but do not under estimate head pressure :)

Depending on how long you want to wait for you water change a 24 may be better. Just realize head pressure ratings are often best case, do the math, and assume yours is gonna perform a little worse :) on the plus side the was the greatest upgrade I ever made to my tank!

I would not use a submersible sump pump for this purpose. Saltwater can be very hard on a pump and I'd be worried about corrosion and release of oils and other stuff into the water. If you were just pumping water out into a drain or something, that's one thing. If you're moving your change water over, that's another thing altogether. My advice is to get something that's been proven effective by other hobbyists and has a decent track record.

I'm trying to make water changes easier.

I'm setting up a rubber maid for salt water mix / storage in the basement.

When I want to do a water change I would like to unwind a hose from the container to the tank - probably will need about 18' head pressure.

Does anyone have any good economical pump suggestions - other than a $180 mag 18 or $300 -$500 reeflow?

It seems like most magnetic drives have max head of 12' or less.  What other types of pumps would work.

I will only be using it for short periods of time.

I'd watch out for a used pressure rated pump for 100 or so.

Could you possibly permanently plumb it in to the tank location with some cpvc or pex or something? Then you could flip a switch at the tank and have new saltwater coming out of a spigot. Would be awesome.