Queen Khaleesi

I only have one tank now,a few seahorses and a Queen, I upgraded my lights, 2 Kessil's  this video shows the Queen,  I bleached one Acropora, when i dumped 40 gallons of fresh water into a 400 gallon system "mistake" so ordered auto aqua smart, welcome all advice sps coral is new for me. 

2 things to note before you get any more acros.

That queen angel will probably eat almost every coral you put in the tank.

Sps need higher flow which will not be good for your seahorses.  

Seahorses love high water flow, they hang out on the the Maxspect XF 150 and sometimes take rides across the tank swim back and do it again, without strong water flow they may get sick! John Cobb,s tank is filled with Coral and angel,s is it not, any way 2 corals bleached since seahorses could care less about salinity I got sloppy, I need advice and will make every mistake. The lights are 2 Kessil A360WE water only 20" deep Tank 8" long.

post-2633089-0-14242200-1464088799_thumb.jpg

3 main things are needed for acros

high flow, high light, and constant water parameters.

Your 2 kessils are not enough night for Acros.  At there highest level those kessils are putting out 300-350 just under the water level at max level. I strongly recommend halides or T5's.  2x 400w halides would cover that whole tank.

As for flow your single maxspec 150 wont cut it for acros you will probably need 1-2 more.  Acro flow IMO is not suitable for seahorses. 

and for constant water parameters, do you have a plan to keep your water consistent?

so what can i grow with what i have? I have a brown montipora that grows like crazy but its not to Architectural I am going to give my star coral and leather coral to my brother ugh, it would be kind of you to give me a short list of what i can grow, not into soft coral , oh better change the name of this topic too.

ok and can i change the topic name? lps no good for seahorses may hurt there skin and the queen has  been my favorite fish but will get big fast i have had them before. I just want 2 small islands of coral and mostly sand I also like horseshoe crabs and there are 2 in there that are also getting big, youre tank looks great

(edited)

ok and can i change the topic name? lps no good for seahorses may hurt there skin and the queen has  been my favorite fish but will get big fast i have had them before. I just want 2 small islands of coral and mostly sand I also like horseshoe crabs and there are 2 in there that are also getting big, youre tank looks great

I'd second the recommendation for pocillipora and montipora. Monti digitata will give you more of the branching look I think you want, but tend to be fragile, at least in my experience. I've personally never had good luck with birdsnest corals, but that could just be me. Heliopora would be another possibility, and there's a SWAP thread for that. 

Having said that, I think it is/would be a mistake to try to keep horseshoe crabs with any of these. Their respective temperature requirements aren't really compatible, as the horseshoe crabs like significantly cooler water. If you try to keep both horseshoes and these corals in the same tank one or the other -- or both -- are going to be stressed and unhappy.

Edited by LCDRDATA

What about heliopora? I'm not sure if it would be ok for seahorses, but it grows plating and branching and seems like it would be a good hitching post for them. Grows in pretty much anything and doesn't seem to care about anything I've ever done to it (I've even drastically dropped salinity in it's tank before).

the tank was cold water and now the horseshoe crabs don't come out much,maybe need to take them back to the bay?  next winter I could add 2 more Kessils but need to buy oyster shells and larva this month

• 1 month later...

I fallowed everyones advice and added more light, @ more A360w tuna blues. The tank is 8 feet long but only 22" deep and the coral seemed to be doing ok for 2 months but now at full intensity very bright, at night I have the color full blue, first question should it be blue all day? also took your'e advice added more flow 1 more Maxspect Gyre XF150 and the pump is the big hammerhead. next question Tonys tank of the month  he writes  about additives? I have been using Kalkwasser , been getting coral from blue zoo aquatics they sell good size pieces for about $60 each they say 3"to 4" and they are nice staghorn green the best so far, hydnophora is good color but aggressive maybe that was a bad choice, going to try acropora color tip next 3 pieces where does everyone get there coral? I got a brown acropora cheap 3 months ago its color is getting better sort of

post-2633089-0-94870800-1469410321_thumb.png

Heliopora is what I was referring to, not hydnophora; it isn't stinging or aggressive, other than fast growing. 

It's the pink in the center of this photo
5xghGG1.png

Walt, that is a beautiful little queen angel.  I don't follow "Game of Thrones", so I'm probably the only person in Western Civilization that doesn't know who queen khaleesi is.  

hi dave i fraged one of the staghorns it was bleaching anyway and once that starts they die some of the frags should make it? this happened 3 months ago on another piece and half the frags made it

Hope you did not put the horseshoe crabs back into the Bay. You have exposed them to multiple foreign pathogens in your tank and introducing these to the Bay could have adverse reactions. It does not seem like much, but it's certainly an important ecological rule to stand by that you should not reintroduce animals that have lived in captivity to the wild if they have been exposed to potentially alien pathogens. This is one of the big reasons why VDGIF says that animals in captivity beyond a set time cannot be released back into the wild.