DIY CUSTOM TANK

HowardofNOVA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob,

It might not be official, but you are the #1 BS on this post! I can't keep up with you sir! :lol:

3302 Michael

2387 Craig

2359 Jacob Less time online then everyone else!! :drink:

2317 Howard

Doug,

Would be awesome if they did, but I know talking to the guy that he claimed nothing but cutting glass and polishing! Wanted nothing else to do with it or would recommend glues, etc!

Will check with the Montgomery Airpark Folks! Thanks again RAF!

My 2 cents....

Why would you want to be involved with GC if there is so much that could go wrong? They are not timely, poor craftsmanship, chips and poor customer service. I would not want to think about any tank cracking, chipping or looking like crap. I would just spend the extra money and get one from a real manufacture. You are going to spend alot of money why cheap out on the one thing that holds everything together. I have seen a bunch of big tanks in-stock at roozens. Have you checked there?

My next tank will be brand name.

Again just my 2 cents.

I had zero problems with GC when i purchased my 240 last year.

I called spoke with Tom, he asked me to email drawings of what i wanted, i asked to pick up at Macna.

I was called by the guys on their way to Macna, after a 30 minute tour round Macna the guys called to say they had arrived and could i come get the tank as it was the last one they loaded and would be grateful if i could collect soon as other people wanted their tanks too.

They loaded the tank into my truck, i gave it a quick once over for anything cracked or broken.

They said thanks very much for helping them out and off i went

Other than a few threads of silicone on the side panes, the tank was and is awesome with the Low Iron glass especially for the price

HTH

Anton

• 3 weeks later...

STILL no response from GC!

Marvin in Richmond was looking for a price.

Other quotes over $600-$700 too much for me now.

Thinking about going for the stock 2'x2'x2' cube tank, anyone have one for sale?

Johnny at BRK?

others?

OK,

After getting this back from YANEK's favorite fan club:

36 x 24 x 25 tall glass aquarium $225.00

Low iron glass front and ends $80.00

5 holes $100.00

Pick up at a delivery location $60.00

-------------------

Total $465.00

This tank can be rimless if you prefer.

I'll need a diagram faxed to me before we can construct.

Call when ready and we'll get you on the next truck. I'll keep this estimate in the Manassas file if you call.

Thank You,

glasscages@gmail.com

For further info or to order call 615-446-8877 (9:00AM - 12noon Central Time - Monday through Friday only)

Price increase on orders after June 6th.

I'M BACK to looking at building my own tank. Will be doing some more research and looking for suggestions on suppliers of glass, glue and tips!

36x18x24 is too thin, 2' Cubes don't seem to be the answer so going to build a 3'x2'x2' tank starting later this month and sump!

I already have or will upon p/u:

1 DIY Chip Kalk Reactor

1 DIY Chip O' Downdraft Skimmer

1 Kolp C Calcium Reactor, Regulator, Solenoid and Tank

1 36"x18.25"x12" Frag Tank

1 Plumbing and Tubing

1 DIY SeaSwirl (still for sale)

1 96w PC Lightsetup 20" (Still for sale)

Will need:

Tank - HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Sump - Oh boy!

Custom Stand and Canopy!

Frag Tank Lighting - Have 1 36" T5 Setup w/o bulb or ballast, will need a second with appropriate ballast

Main Tank Lighing: Dual 2x39w 36" T5 Retro Kits Johnny, will contact you on these later this month!

Bulbs: Love the blue looks of the Blue Tint under MH 20k, so suggestions?

Was thinking of (2) Aquablue+, (1) Actinic+, (1) Pure Actinic?

Should I go (3) Kits on 2' width or will (2) be ok?

T5 Bulb Types:

Aquablue +

Suitable for salt water and fresh water. This is the recommended D-D marine tube, which is a 60/40 white/blue blend. This tube was specifically developed for growing SPS corals down to 800cm. Suitable for salt water, reef and fresh water fish only aquariums.

Features:

T5 Diameter High Output Fluorescent Lamp

60% actinic 40% white spectrum

Color temperature approx 11,000K crisp color as standalone lamp

Information:

This lamp is ideally suited to be used as a standalone, or when used in a 2:1 or 3:1

fashion with blue or actinic supplementary lamps. This is the ultimate marine lamp.

Actinic +

Suitable for salt water. A mixture of 40% Actinic and 60% Blue, it emits levels of actinic as well as a blue spectrum.

It will make even the drabbest corals stand out by producing levels of fluorescence.

Features:

T5 Diameter High Output Lamp

Blue spectrum peaks at 450 nm

Supplementation lamp encourages bluing in SPS coral, minor fluorescing

Recommendations:

Great when used with 10K or 6500K metal halide lamps to encourage bluing in SPS. 450nm peak is similar to Radium Blue metal halide lamps. Other preferred ratios include 1:1 with Midday Lamps, or 2:1:1 Midday/AquaBlue +/Actinic for best blend of bluing and fluorescence.

Midday

Suitable for salt water and fresh water. Midday is a 6000 Kelvin tube with a 5 point spectrum which recreates sunlight. It is suitable for salt water, fresh water, and reef planted or fish only aquariums.

Features:

T5 Diameter High Output Lamp

Full spectrum high CRI lamp

6000K broad spectrum encourages growth

Information:

This lamp is ideally suited to full spectrum use for growth of SPS and also works great when used in a 1:1 ratio with either the Actinic or Aquablue+ supplementary lamps.

Pure Actinic

Suitable for salt water. A complete pure actinic tube with all the power of the

So far:

Glass:

Gaithersburg Glass Company, 451 East Diamond Ave,Gaithersburg,Maryland 20877

Phone:301-948-2623

Hours: M

Just talked to Ed Warburton of WET PETS-MD,

2904 TERRACE DR, CHEVY CHASE, MD 20815

TEL 301-565-3474, FAX 301-565-3474

mail@wetpetsinc.com

Formerly setup CARE-Capital Area Reef Enthusist 20yrs ago!

One of the first Chat Room setups, now does Service and Tanks now.

Getting me a price on a Acrylic Tank!

Recommended me to go that route and DIY via Ace Plastics for under $200!

Thinking about it!

Chip do you have a number available for Ace? Will check ph. book.

Acrylic vs Glass?

I've been a glass man but was worried about the scratching issues, coraline growth (removing) and any additional maintenance?

Howard

Talk to Chip before and his glass tank lasted 7 yrs with no problems, Cost about $400 for materials

Just talked with Ed and he said that he can do a custom for $600 or "I" DIY for $150 using Weldon3. Said too easy not to do! Said if I luck out and get scraps at 50 cents a lb. Could cost as little as $50.!

Toooo tempting and I'm probably going to do it! :)

Ok, Talked with Ace Plastics at 5655A General Washington Dr, Alexandria VA off 395/Edsal Rd.

4'x8'x1/2" Clear Acrylic is $272.00 per sheet and he would cut me what I need at no additional cost within reason.

Scraps are going for $2.00 per lb. but generally 12-15" pieces the biggest.

Black sheets are only available in 1/4", nothing thicker.

Open M-F 8-5.

SOMEBODY KEY IN THE JAWS SOUNDTRACK!!!!

....I hear danger approaching soon!!! :bounce:

I'm committing myself to now build the 90g 3'x2'x2 Acrylic tank starting later this month

4'x8' Sheet of Acrylic will be about $273. which will allow me enough to build tank and have (2) 18"x24" pieces left to use toward a 18"x18"x24" high sump under the tank. Will have to buy scraps to finish it out. Will have 3'x18.25"x1' glass frag tank (already have) on opposite wall as well.

My plans for holes and trying to deside on overflow situation.

Plan #1

Closed Loop:

(1) 1 1/2" bulkhead outflow about middle and lower third of back (2'x2' end) with strainer and additional mesh box around it to hopefully keep fish from being sucked to strainer and return (Plan on Mag 9.5) going into SCWD from bottom into (2) 1" Bulkheads about 8" from each rear corners. Again, coming up from bottom. Plan on using LR to cover intake and return plumbing

Overflows: This is where I have a question????

Do I use an overflow with teeth across the back or use (2) 1 1/2" Bulkheads into to sump?

I'm use to using Bulkheads, but been recommended to use an overflow instead?

Can you sell me into doing the overflow?

My return (MAG18) will be used with "T's", Ball/Gate Valves going back #1 Downdraft Skimmer, #2 UV Sterlizer into Frag Tank and #3 Either DIY 1/2" SeaSwirl or purchase either 3/4" or 1" SeaSwirl or BRK's return? Suggestions?

Lighting, I plan on using the Dual 2x29w T5 lighting mentioned above, via BRK.

If I sell the 96w PC (STILL FOR SALE!), will use another set on Frag tank. Bulb recommendation? (See above)

Heating, Have the New Won 300w Heater and Temp, but looking down the road to Nathan new toy!

Suggestions on any above and Light Bulb suggestions? I'm looking for the Bluer' look of a 20k MH if possible.

Just talked to Ed Warburton of WET PETS-MD,

2904 TERRACE DR, CHEVY CHASE, MD 20815

TEL 301-565-3474, FAX 301-565-3474

mail@wetpetsinc.com

Formerly setup CARE-Capital Area Reef Enthusist 20yrs ago!

One of the first Chat Room setups, now does Service and Tanks now.

Getting me a price on a Acrylic Tank!

Recommended me to go that route and DIY via Ace Plastics for under $200!

Howard

Howard, you should talk to Pam. Ed designed, ordered, and integrated her current in-wall 260g setup. I personally question certain design elements, although it was originally intended as a fish-only system. But talk to her. She has been his client before she bumped into me... :lol:

-Rob

Howard,

If your mind is made up then go for it. 3'x2'x2' sounds like a nice size. I wanted to get acustom those same dimensions but decided to save money and get an AGA 36"x18"x24"; plus I'm not sure how long I'll be at this same address.

I only caution Acrylic. I used to have several acrylic tanks and slowly sold them off or used them as sumps or quarantine or whatever. They really do scratch easily and it's a pain to remove the scratches. It was doing reef tanks that led me away from acrylic; rocks, sand, corraline... If you're prepared to deal with acrylic then more power to you. They look great and are easily drilled and relatively light.

Keep us updated on which route you take.

3/4 of your 2400 Posts

Geez, you caught on!

This is what happens between the "planning stage" and "having the money to implement stage" :drink:

Plan on starting the tank in 2wks! :bounce:

Have mixed emotions about acrylic or glass, but decided to go that route!

Alright Doug, what's your opinions on overflows vs bulkhead drains?

OMG! This thread has some real drama :wig:

Howard, why don't you just have me build you one? 3x2x2 I'll make it out of 1/2" and it will look beautiful. Ijust built a tank for Moga and Sanjay Joshi came down from PA to pick up a 48"x 30" x 18" custom sump from me(Posted on RC). I also do quite a bit of work for Marvia down at Atlantis Aquariums.

$400 bucks! and if you want to watch or build it with me your more than welcome.

BTW: ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE WELDON 3 FOR THE TANK!!! Cures too fast and does not give enough time for the solvent to get into the material. Weldon 4 is better but, if you really pimp out you mix your own chemical cocktail.

Hey Chip, when are you getting that sump?

NAGA,

Sent you a PM!