WE NEED FISH!

Emerick Elementary

Our fish tank is getting lonely, and there is a lot of algae on the tank walls. We are starting to miss the life in our fish tank. The lack of fish is what we think is causing the algae. Before we lost all our fish it

was fun to go to the  fish tank and look at their habitat. Now we don't get the excitement of going to see our one fish.

We hope this blog will get us some new fishy friends!    :bluefish:

What happened with all your testing? We need to make sure your water quality is ok before putting more fish in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happened with all your testing? We need to make sure your water quality is ok before putting more fish in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree young sir

Our fish tank is getting lonely, and there is a lot of algae on the tank walls. We are starting to miss the life in our fish tank. The lack of fish is what we think is causing the algae. Before we lost all our fish it

was fun to go to the  fish tank and look at their habitat. Now we don't get the excitement of going to see our one fish.

We hope this blog will get us some new fishy friends!    :bluefish:

I believe that Mr. Arthur is going to help you with your tank. The WAMAS Board of Directors just approved some resources (money) to help get things back on track at Emerick Elementary. 

I would be able to donate one ocellaris clownfish. My other two clowns became a mated pair so I need to take this one out soon or I am just going to end up taking it back to my local fish store.

I have a dotty I could add once you get the free and clear on water quality. I also have a large turbo snail that might be able to help with your algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TangAdmirer

I suggest that we let dbarto (Doug) look the situation over and help get Emerick ES back on track and operating within their skill level / capacity.

Steve, I pointed this thread out to Doug. I'm sure that he'll be in touch if Incredible Corals can help out. Thanks for the offer.

Hi Folks, a bit of an update for you on the tank since it has been a while. First, thanks to those that offered items, I put some responses below. Tank started off well at the beginning of the school year. A small number of softy corals and about 5-6 fish. There was some corals since last I was into the school over spring break. Lost a few, probably more to my lack of ability to get over lately. During spring break was my last time over there to check on everything.  Beginning of the year is usually tough on my job/travel, so WC's have been lacking. I also missed last years grant $$, so this years allocations will be a big help and more $$ for salt.

There was a pair of clowns, some yellow tail chromis, and a royal gramma in there until the winter break. We lost some fish over the break, not sure if there was a power outage or what. There were two yellow tails remaining by spring break, but they have apparently passed as well.  I tried a filefish and another fish I got at MACNA, neither lasted long. 

To revamp a bit, I am hoping to get into the school tomorrow to talk to the teacher(and a large WC) and try to reset some expectations on both sides.  Testing on a more regular basis will be one of them. I have a few things I have been waiting to put in myself, just looking for a good time to do so.

Will be at the meeting for anyone that has offered. I will do a big water change Thurs and do some water testing. There are 1-2 serpent stars I may take out. They "may" have contributed to loss, but they are still small. Kids love them though...

I would be able to donate one ocellaris clownfish. My other two clowns became a mated pair so I need to take this one out soon or I am just going to end up taking it back to my local fish store.

Hmmm. I bought 2 clarkii from a local breeder at the last meeting I was going to put in there. But, a "nemo" pair may be more easily recognizable (as much as I twitch with every saying "nemo!"). Can let you know after discussion with the teacher. 

Pville - willing to help?

Do you have corals? If not we have some butterfly's we can donate.

Thanks Steve. There are a few softies. Sarcophyton, cabbage corals, mushrooms. I tired some donated lps with not much luck. 4 2ft HO, for lighting. There is not a skimmer on this tank anymore.  There may be some tasty aiptasia in the tank for a butterfly. The tank is 60 gallons, size is a consideration as well. 

I have a dotty I could add once you get the free and clear on water quality. I also have a large turbo snail that might be able to help with your algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good. they are generally agreeable in a mixed reef. Thanks.

I have 4 or 5 HUGE (baseball-sized) turbo snails I will donate.  They are knocking over too many frags.  I've had them for many years.

I might take you up on this. ThanksI work in Alexandria, could pick up sometime if not at meeting. 

Count me in.  I will also donate a fish or two when somebody gives the green light on water parameters.

Thanks Dave. Been meaning to contact you!

Put a pencil urchin in there to take algae off rocks if you don't have coral frag plugs that would get moved around.  It's amazing to see the clean stripes of rock where it has been.

Put a pencil urchin in there to take algae off rocks if you don't have coral frag plugs that would get moved around.  It's amazing to see the clean stripes of rock where it has been.

Thanks for the suggestion. Need to see what is like. It wasnt too bad before at SP, but dead fish might contribute. I actually have an urchin to go in there...

Pville - willing to help?

Doug, I also live in Pville so I would be more then willing to assist in whatever way I can. I will be at the meeting this weekend as well. 

Did a large water change in the system on Thurs. Yellowtail Damsel, serpent stars, and a number of small hermits make up the livestock. Sarcophyton, some zoos, and some mushrooms make up the corals remaining. Sinularia and the cabbage have withered significantly. I should have grabbed a pic, but the algae is not really bad. Brounish algae on the rear, and a little of the rocks, but no beyond a clean up crew away from being great.  Some small aiptasia around hear and there, 

Yes. some fishy friends are needed, but the tank is not a bad as I was expecting. Took some water to test, but didnt get around to testing. Suspect high phosphates (no RO at the school) and maybe higher nitrates. Need to get some new kits for them.  I did not talk to Mrs. Boyer due to a faculty meeting. I wouldn't have an issue putting easy corals or fish in the tank at the moment.

Doug, I also live in Pville so I would be more then willing to assist in whatever way I can. I will be at the meeting this weekend as well. 

I have a tank at Emmerick and a tank at Blue Ridge Middle. Tanks are OK with my time. With help they could be really good! I will look you this weekend at the meeting to discuss. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was in to do a water change yesterday and chat with the teacher. I have done 30 gals of water changes since the first post, and the kids have done a good job of cleaning off the algae off back glass. I think a few more snails in there will clean up the algae off the overflow and some of the rocks. Now home to one of Dave Sun's captive bred (CB) Lemon Damsels, a CB Bangaii Cardianals, and a CB Clarkii Clown. Will push the significance of the locally CB fish as well. 

I have an adult Red Honey Damsel (Stegaster mellis) that I am looking to donate.

I posted on Craigslist, so here is the link with pics...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/for/5560000594.html

Would like to have him adopted within the week.

Thanks, Doubt I will be able to make it up to MD for adoption any time soon though. Pretty fish, If in VA, let me know. 

Was in to do a water change yesterday and chat with the teacher. I have done 30 gals of water changes since the first post, and the kids have done a good job of cleaning off the algae off back glass. I think a few more snails in there will clean up the algae off the overflow and some of the rocks. Now home to one of Dave Sun's captive bred (CB) Lemon Damsels, a CB Bangaii Cardianals, and a CB Clarkii Clown. Will push the significance of the locally CB fish as well. 

Thanks, Doubt I will be able to make it up to MD for adoption any time soon though. Pretty fish, If in VA, let me know. 

Well, I could deliver, but to be honest I don't think Nelson would play well with the other damsels or cardinals.

Well, I could deliver, but to be honest I don't think Nelson would play well with the other damsels or cardinals.

What I was thinking too, but didn't want to sound ungrateful. Prettier they are, the bigger the "pain" factor. :)

Looky what came today!! Thanks Marcos at ERC. Besides great livestock there, they also donate needed dry goods for schools!! Will put to good use.

AA427F9B-B40D-43A9-B651-3983EF9F331D_zps