The Sickness

Nice display of skills on the stand! I would go with a bigger sump myself, about twice that size. A small sump is prone to overflowing on a large tank when the pumps turn off and the tank drains down. Small sumps and large volumes/flow can cause micro bubbles back into the display. A longer sump tank allows the bubbles time to rise up and not get sucked into the return pump. Just my two cents.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice display of skills on the stand! I would go with a bigger sump myself, about twice that size. A small sump is prone to overflowing on a large tank when the pumps turn off and the tank drains down. Small sumps and large volumes/flow can cause micro bubbles back into the display. A longer sump tank allows the bubbles time to rise up and not get sucked into the return pump. Just my two cents.

I agree with this based on the overflow issue alone, 40 breeder is not leaving you any wiggle room.

Also, does your wife always wear a tu-tu? :tongue:

I agree with this based on the overflow issue alone, 40 breeder is not leaving you any wiggle room.

Also, does your wife always wear a tu-tu? :tongue:

That's my 7 year old kid...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah I have been down that road before with a sump too small. This time I'm sure I got the math right. I really needed the room for equipment and didn't need any more water volume. The sump itself is 60 gallons in total with the frag section holding about 5 additional gallons if needed. I have tried refugiums and algae scrubbers and have no interest in using them again so I won't need any extra overflow space going forward. It's just imperative that I got the math right.

Picked up these 3 g3 pros to add to the 2 I already have. This will give me 5 total for the build . 3 with 80 degree lenses and 2 with 120s. Staggered 80,120,80,120,80.e73b91d838e95817b3e1af2484cc0cba.jpg

(edited)

But the fun part had to be .....

Test fill

961ca78748c11e245175d0ea79d38d95.jpg

Sand

dd132c5acb0880d87b262d57c2ff9771.jpg

Polish... And repeat...and repeat... And repeat.

560ff164b7240a8bd1d9f952290d9a1d.jpg

And what the heck how about another test fill after I plasti-dip'd the back.

98a18926f16ec9ab8f79c88870fddc37.jpg

Edited by Optimusdooche

That's my 7 year old kid...

I know, I was teasing you. It's looking great.

The whole process hinges on breaking down my 150 into a sump .... Then install the flooring in one room, move big tank on that floor, break down the sump holding all my Coral and fish ,move into the new tank. Install new flooring in that room, and oh yeah make my 4' doorway a 5' doorway so the tank will fit. Easy enough!

(edited)

So it looks something like this:

Start with this....

1ddfd69a111c1c42aa0ad7d69a976002.jpg

6de38ad807fc63fcbc942967f74db2a4.jpg

ede3bcd9fedba7cac52c1ef79dcc9502.jpg

After breaking down the 150 and 65 gallon frag tanks leaving only the 40 breeder fuge, 34 gallon sump and filling the temporary holding 110 Gallon sump I was exhausted. I was running around like crazy and made one h e ll of a mess . If I wasn't replacing the floors my wife would have killed me. I plumbed the holding sump into the system and made the over flow higher as water pumped from the 150 to it. That way I could move rock as one drained the other filled and the system continued to run. I just kept raising the overflow every time it was needed.

5419335b2e3033d47049ccd2d05ae6e9.jpg

Edited by Optimusdooche

What's the make of the 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So at this point the floors in and the tank is up thanks to a few neighbors and a couple of mdrc members. I had to trim the canopy it get it to fit and I had to use a concrete leveler to get the floor at least partially level, it was almost 3/4 inch out over 12 feet. That part took forever but at least the tank didn't have to be shimmed as much when installed.

Before :

66910b7a7e0f88990b897eb3e435c2f7.jpg

After:

886f0e6ed9fd2bf4e33a9486c9ed0a0e.jpg

(edited)

It more than likely cost me more money than buying a pre made stand like I have done in the past but it wouldn't have been as nice. Everything is exactly how I wanted it and you just can't get that with pre made. I also buttoned up the plumbing and just went with straight white PVC , I was on the fence with red but I am happy with how. a little acetone makes standard PVC look.

f7669c8fdfd76639ed2312adbf5f4d23.jpg987fee751a439fbaaf1989abaf31896c.jpg973c8e30b9d6ab984ee96eb9f01a4721.jpg

Edited by Optimusdooche

There is a water change feature that feeds to the other room. I just turn the valve it will pump out water ,turn it back and it will refill from the water change station in the next room. It has been mess free so far .

Looks great! Huge difference with that room!

Stunning

I bet with all our powers combined here on Wamas, we could take over the world.

We haven't already?