Opinions on skimmer you would use on a 300g system?

nextlevel808

I would like to hear some people's opinions on what skimmer they would personally use and why if you were to setup a reef system with about 300g total with DT and sump. Tank would be pretty heavy stocked with fish and coral. I'm leaning towards the Reef Octopus regel 250int because I like the DC pumps and the lower electric draws they come with as well. Been talking to a buddy that loves his Bashsea but I don't know enough about them. Let me hear your thoughts please.

First we will need to know your system configuration to provide input. i.e. sump location, internal vs external , I do love the DC pumps but the power consumption vs pump failure rate is to be considered. losing a skimmer in a heavily stocked tank can be very risky. Just my .02

I would go with a Bubble Magus Nac 9 or Curve 9.  The curve 9 also has a DC version called the D9.   But I am with DCreefer on this as DC skimmer pumps are not proven yet for the long term. You want reliability on a skimmer.

I ran a sro6000 on my 300. It was the space saver model. It did a great job. My tank was heavily stocked at times and it never let me down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

System would be a 220g DT with a 120g tank built to sump/fuge. Sump would be in a closet so I need to plumb to tank anyways so internal or external wouldn't make to much of a difference but I have plenty of room in sump. I totally agree that losing a skimmer in a high load would be really bad. I am currently using the regel 170int now from reef octopus on my 120g DT and haven't had a problem yet and personally love the fact I can change the pump speeds to adjust the skimmer without adjusting the valve. I have only had it running for a year now so long term is questionable but I'm pretty sure could always replace pump.

+1 on the Avast CS3! I wish it had been out when I had my big system; I was pretty disappointed with my Reef Octopus, and I could never get it dialed in right. 

Avast CS3!

This. I ran one on about 250 gallons total, and it was a champ when adjusted right. Price is right, plus you buy local (built in the USA) and support a vendor.

New CS3 model should be out this spring. My only problem with avast skimmers is that they tend to be finicky but they are great when tuned and the new ones seem to have fixed a lot of the older models issues. I highly recommend the NYOS Quantum skimmers for internal. Personally though, highly recommend a becket skimmer, either mrc or Bashsea skimmers since you can utilize an external skimmer.

Will the CS3 be enough. I see it's only rated for 200-400g and always though was good to go by x2 water volume for skimmers. I have a few big fish which is one reason why I'm upgrading in first place. Current livestock is 4-5" purple tang, 5" foxface, 6" niger trigger, 3-3.5" coral beauty, 3-4" copperband, 3" maroon clown, 2" yellow coris wrasse, and 14" snowflake eel along with 50-60 different corals and big cuc.

I run a vertex alpha 200 on my 300 gallon system , and all I gotta say is best skimmer I've ever seen in action , nothing pulls skimmate like that thing , I had a deltec 702 on it before and switched to the vertex , best move I've made yet

eed0dcb7bcfb506cc5993cedd4fbeada.jpg

A friend of mine ran this on a large system. It's a nice atb with upgraded pump. He loved it. Only reason it's not in use is bc he downsized to a small cube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk