Recommend a Glue

Caribbean Jake

Ok, I am thinking of cutting some acrylic and building a wall inside the 55G tank where I can house the water column, heater, pumps, filtration, and reactors inside the same 55G tank. In order to do so I would need to build a wall using acrylic. 

What glue you recommend I use for holding the acrylic piece in place?

Thank you in advance for your advise, suggestions.

You mean you're turning a 55g tank into a sump?  If that's the case, I guess I'd recommend getting a 40B at a dollar/gallon sale at petco or petsmart instead since a tall 12 inch wide tank isn't a great geometry for a sump.

Normally I just use GE acetoxy-cure silicone from lowes to hold acrylic sump baffles in a glass aquarium.  Put a generous bead on both sides of the sheet to wedge it in place.  If you want an "under" baffle you can stick a 2x4 or something under it to hold it in place while it cures for a couple of days.  Then just wait for the vinegar smell to go away and you're good.

thank you Alan. I am turning a 55G into a reef-ready system that holds or equipment and filtrates in the same tank instead of outside the tank.  crazy I know, but a nice neat project !

Silicone doesn't bond well to acrylic but does bond well to glass. However, I have used the technique that Alan describes to "pin" a baffle in place. As long as the baffle's not under a lot of prolonged stress (such as a big pressure differential from different water height on either side of the baffle) it'll hold up fine. You can even use adhesive closed-cell weather-stripping on both sides of the baffle and wedge the acrylic in to create a reconfigurable baffle pattern. 

I think you might mean you're turning it into an "all-in-one" system instead of "reef ready" with a wall to have all the filtration hidden, and not drilling the outside glass in any way.

Keep us posted on how it goes! I've been tempted to do that too. Are you doing this against the back or on a side?

I think you might mean you're turning it into an "all-in-one" system instead of "reef ready" with a wall to have all the filtration hidden, and not drilling the outside glass in any way.

Keep us posted on how it goes! I've been tempted to do that too. Are you doing this against the back or on a side?

that is correct, turn it into a all-in-one system.  I guess things do change in eight years, specially how we label or name things.  Thanks for the help !

I would use "Goop" glue.  There is no perfect glue that will bond plastic to glass but I have found Goop to be the best.  It is very thick and dries fast and remains flexible.  I have a load of it in my tank so I know it is reef safe.

I would go with glass instead of acrylic and use silicone.

+1

May be okay in a sump (with a heavy bead to 'pin' the panel as mentioned above).  BUT - given how poorly silicone adheres to acrylic, you may want to think twice before risking it in a self-made 'all-in-one' tank. If it comes loose you won't be able to try to re-bond it without emptying and drying the tank - which would suck if it's full of coral and livestock.

Might be worth taking 10-15 minutes to call a few local glass shops and see how much a similar size piece of 6mm or 9mm thick glass (depending how high your water level is). Who knows, they may even stock some in smoke tint or heavily frosted to help hide the equipment behind it.

I would use "Goop" glue.  There is no perfect glue that will bond plastic to glass but I have found Goop to be the best.  It is very thick and dries fast and remains flexible.  I have a load of it in my tank so I know it is reef safe.

Paul, how long have you had Goop in the tank, and where do you get it from? 

I have been using Goop Glue since they invented the stuff.  My skimmer has a lot of it in it and it is maybe 15 years old.  Everything I make to put in my tank has some Goop in it including my mandarin feeder.  You can get it at any hardware store or Home Depot.  They sell all sorts of Goop glue.  They are all the same thing except I may not use the outdoor Goop as I feel it may have some sort of fungicide in it but I doubt it.  Just get homeowners Goop or Plumbers Goop.  It is very thick and dries clear and flexible in about an hour.  Put the unused tube in the refrigerator and it will last about a year.  When you want to use it, just put it in some hot water for 10 minutes. 

Here is a picture of household Goop.  I was putting a bottle together for a project for my book.

2013-12-05173210_zps090a91c1.jpg

This was the almost finished project.

2013-12-14120730_zpsfe7b0746.jpg

Edited by paul b