Where to buy cut glass?

Anemone

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has a recommendation where to buy cut glass for a sump?  Preferably near Falls Church?  Lowe's is a bit out of the way.  We have Home Depot nearby but it's hard to find help there, especially on the weekends.  I would assume this isn't something people would mail order yet?

Thanks for looking.

+1 for Laurel Glass & Mirror. Very friendly, great pricing, and everything I ordered was cut exactly to the sizes I requested. Although they did laugh a little bit when I told them I was drilling 3 holes in a sheet of 3/8" glass.

Hopefully I do not have to go that far! Looks like 45 minutes each way from Falls Church.

Related, do you have the glass place smooth down the sharp edges, or do that yourselves? For a sump I was assuming DIY smoothing to save money.

I did have Laurel Glass finish the edges.  It seemed to add very little cost since they have a machine that does it.  

For a very small piece I got from them (the lid for my overflow box) they had to do it by hand if they were going to do it and it was going to be difficult and costly, so I told them to forget it.  They still did it by hand to take off the sharp parts just because they didn't want to send it out looking bad, and I was pretty happy with the results.  

Anyone tried cutting the glass themselves? Long ago I was the idiot high school kid working at the Meijer store and would get called over to cut glass if nobody else was around. The scoring setup there was almost idiot proof, but it seems like nothing you couldn't manage with a decent straight edge and a steady hand. The handheld scoring wheels look to start from $10 on Amazon. Even if they don't cut it for us, the local HD should at least sell sheets of quarter inch glass. Might be easier, especially since I'll be there picking up PVC, coming back for forgotten fittings, coming back again because I bought the wrong fittings, and again because I broke a fitting, etc.

If they wont smooth it just be careful, wear HEAVY work gloves and you can smooth it with 180 grit sand paper. Doesn't take that long IF YOU ARE CAREFUL.

Polished edge was included in the price Laurel Glass quoted when I called them for mine. 1/4" was $10 per square foot and 3/8" was $14 per square foot. That is per piece, so one 1/4" piece at 12" x 6" is $10 even though it is 0.5 square feet. Was the best price of all the places I called. Not sure if HD sells anything besides 1/8".

• 1 month later...

I'm also a little late here, but I got my glass from Glass Cages.com in Tennessee.  They have a truck that delivers to this area every couple of weeks and they were about half the price of local vendors, as I recall.  I had a lot of glass to purchase so I saved a lot of money, if your sump is small that may not be enough savings for you to make the same decision.  I recall that they sanded all edges for free but my memory is a little hazy on that.

Hope that helps.