Yellow wrasse shaking head out of water

gmerek2

All but one of my fish got prazi/copper treated prophylactic. So it's possible I'll keep an eye on it. It got live black worms, flake and mysis today so hopefully it's not still hungry! These fish are jumpers. No one should keep without a tight lid.

(edited)

Yes I keep clams and sensitive SPS in this tank and monitor parameters very closely for not only the numbers but stability on a graph. I also routinely double check the devices checking the parameters. I actually love tank maintenance. Hated it at first but now I feel like its the most relaxing thing in the world and takes my mind off everything. That cleaner wrasse was skimming the top in the short 30 second video but rarely does that. The cleaner does have really goofy behavior though but I see that a lot with the cleaner wrasse in other tanks. I even see it swimming upside down sometimes when begging lol! The coris wrasse has had more vibrant coloration change recently. Its head is getting green and pink strips down its face, dorsal and anal fin. Also the black spots on the dorsal fin are changing shape and intensity. All within the past few weeks

Edited by gmerek2

Sounds to me like it's a courtship display. You have a fish getting more colorful, then repeating odd behaviors in front of another fish of the same species.

It is actually only doing it when the other is really close by! That makes me feel better.

I would still check for flukes or other ailments. Yellow wrasses are usually low to mid level swimmers. Yours seem to stay at the top.

I've had other fish do this. They would bob out of the water just like that and then blow bubbles out, almost like a dog blowing bubbles in a kiddie pool. It was just my two rabbitfish, and a couple of my tangs that did this. It always seemed to be a "fun" thing, but I'm probably over-personifying my fish. My two bar started it, then would try to get the other rabbitfish to do it as well. He'd go get the other one, then go back to the top and blow bubbles. So then once that fish started doing it, they'd try and get all the tangs to join in, which two eventually joined in as well. 

Mine also tended to do it after a lot of activity; racing around the tank, go blow bubbles, then race around the tank again, rinse, repeat.

I wouldn't worry about it much unless there are other symptoms of illness. 

Yellow corris wrasses in a bare bottom tank? They need sand dude....

I can take video of them diving down in sand containers. They found them first night!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just watched Finding Nemo with my kids, your wrasse is talking to birds and looking for the names on the backs of boats.

By the way, looks like some weird courtship behavior to me, too.  It only does this around the other fish but I can't imagine that wrasses in the wild do this for courtship, seems like an instant ticket to becoming food.  Did you drop them on their heads when they were babies?  ;)