Der ABT 80g office nano

Der ABT

Been a while and time for an update

So the 156 got the worlds worst……AEFW….from a clam I purchased…..all went down hill from there and with time constraints I was almost breaking the tank down.  Somehow I still have corals and lots of algae growing but…was just hard…didn’t want to throw away giant infested colonies….you would be surprised how many are doing ok.

Now ive moved back to Arlington and was going to move the 156 over and revamp….was talked into downsizing to the 80g I was planning for a frag tank…..kinda happy how it turned out so far…will be a little less work.

Not sure on lighting yet….may be a MH on a light mover, may be t5 led combo….just not sure yet.

Tank is 48x24 by like 17 or so.

Here is the progress so far. Got the tank moved into the new office

20151220_121216_zpsbwlws8pk.jpg

Not a fan of blue background and clear bottom

20151221_155543_zpsskhsp3ra.jpg

20151220_121216_zpsbwlws8pk.jpg

20151224_133518_zpsyuvmysy2.jpg

First Livestock

20160110_102310_zpspo0cfx3g.jpg

20160110_102344_zpshydnbzex.jpg

SLOOOOW fill

20160110_173236_zpsj0ctbmpk.jpg

That’s its for now waiting for the fill and double checking plumbing etc then will start to transfer over what im keeping and getting rid of the rest…..didnt realize how much stuff ive accumulated over the years.

Hopefully ill be able to keep this one lookin nice.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your in-laws at the meeting this weekend and they mentioned that you had a new addition at home. Congratulations!

Thanks guys....please meet Eva (ava)....so far she has been great....doesnt let me have much time on the tank at night yet

20160213_172247_zpsnbqmetpf.jpg

Got all the fish transferred from the 156 and new homes for those I'm not keeping.

So far fish list is

Blueface angel

Purple tang

Clowns

Cleaner wrasse

Royal grama

Giant male mandarin

1 Bartlett anthias (others were jumpers)

Cs1 barely fit in the stand as I lowered it a little to fit in the space better.

Very simple set up so far..... to do list is long though...

hood aND ventilation

auto water change set up

qt for corals

Finish up the equipment cave

Organize wires

Install glass internal overflow

CArx once I get back to sps

Buy lots of guns to run boys off 3 girls

Just need some more time to do projects

Right now lighting is 2 d120s...gonna add some t5s. .would love halides but can't justify the heat in this shallow a tank....gonna start with 2 t5s aND possibly go to 4 54w

Otherwise just trying to get it set up so there is minimal work for a while

Also gave Justin the worlds largest sea hare...crappy pic but he was just huge....would hang out and clean my mp40 wrapping all the way around with out getting sucked in

20160219_114944_zpstnho1emg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing work as the little ones let me....got my qt set up ready to go....still working on tuning the auto water change

20160317_123301_zpsj6wczkwt.jpg

20160317_123242_zpst0amvb7j.jpgSo the auto water change will put 1 gal a day outta the main and into the qt which is a 7g cube that then drains to the sewer. (Big thanks to quantum reefs and Vince for the tank )

Lighting will be a spare d120 turned way down and a heater.

In plan on covering this tank to keep humidity down....most likely won't leave the skimmer on there but ya never know.

So the fish room which is really half a room with the roof angle being kinda funny.....but will house my Rodi and salt water ....eventually make it a mixing station that looks a little nicer

And plan on moving electronic thru the wall and into that room.

Otherwise ta k is doing suprisingly well.....my sunburst Monti cap that developed a green graft is coloring back up and besides 5he purple tang going after some zoas everyone is fat and happle....blue face as well

Oh yeh and I've done 3 15g water changes in the last 4 weeks.....I mean I'm on a roll

Did you get the peri pumps figured out? Lmk if not. That sea hare is loving it in the greenhouse tank. It has eaten so much algae it just crawls around leaving these wood pellet looking poops all over the place. Truly an algae monster.

Sent you a message justin....1 is good the other is still off.

Too funny on the wood pellet poop....same way I described it....glad he is cleaning your tank well.....he deserved a good home like that

I got a new paint sprayer I'm itching to use.....very tempted to plastidip the inside of my hood bit may just go with some killz

Got a new fts....

20160322_162426_zpsngrdrhv0.jpg

Starting to get some algea...probably excess nutrients trapped in the rocks so gonna start addressing that with some gfo and a few more water changes

Qt is now up and running with all my leftover sps....so going to start the dip process and in about 8 weeks hope to be aefw free on those corals...would be nice to save a few.

Still need to finish up the hood and install the last 2 t5s.....going to paint it this weekend hopefully and then should start cleaning up the wires etc to make things look nice

That's about it for now...I may have to start testing parameters besides salinity soon haha

Got a new fts....

20160322_162426_zpsngrdrhv0.jpg

Starting to get some algea...probably excess nutrients trapped in the rocks so gonna start addressing that with some gfo and a few more water changes

Qt is now up and running with all my leftover sps....so going to start the dip process and in about 8 weeks hope to be aefw free on those corals...would be nice to save a few.

Still need to finish up the hood and install the last 2 t5s.....going to paint it this weekend hopefully and then should start cleaning up the wires etc to make things look nice

That's about it for now...I may have to start testing parameters besides salinity soon haha

Nice, hope the SPS pull through for you

Thanks me too...have a red Robin stag, watermelon milli, my old shortcake, and a few others....filled up the 7g too fast..I'll try for a pic later.

If not I'll have to start over..

Still wish I could get my ice fire, Mr pacman, and especially the old blue/purple back....I loved those 2

For the log...acro free tank as of 3/22/16......several hard weeks and dips ahead

The blue purple was nice. I can't remember what happened to the frag/mini colony I sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colony On the right

IMG_0133.jpg

Also would love this one back too

IMG_5625_zpsae93fff5.jpg

Lavender smooth skin IMG_20130805_120304_389_zps1e1e0e4b.jpg

And Mr pacman

IMG_5585_zps6d7c0bab.jpg

Really the list goes on but the blue purple was one of my favorites

I have #2 and #3. I can't get 2 to grow. It just encrusts about 1/2" a year :)

#3 is finally starting to move in a vertical direction too.

was that blue purple the one you got from me?

DSC_1039.jpg

I lost a whole bunch of acro colonies but have a small frag of it and the icefire left.

I do have a frag of that which I have never been able to get it to grow. It encrusts the 1" square starts to grow then STN's. Been like that for almost 1.5 years.

Any placement options for it? I haven't had any luck with that one

For the log week one dips complete no losses

and so far so good...there are only 2 small frags that seem to have any aefw on them....a rainbow milli and my shortcake...others had nothing come off in the dips. Several adult worms no giant egg sacks found but I'm sure there are some somewhere

20160324_162327_zpsip1eggxv.jpg

20160324_162309_zpssykluett.jpg

20160324_162314_zpso84q8pft.jpg

So there are all the corals I'm dipping....running carbon once they go back in the 7 gal.

Once the dips are done I'll probably put a pair of clowns in there and have it be a dedicated qt set up...actually a nice tank and I could see having fun with a nano now

Also gotta say this is much easier to dip and keep track of vs the 156 and giant colonies

Couldn't believe the red Robin stag showed 0 aefw....hopefully that trend continues for the mini colony

• 1 month later...

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. ..been dealing with alot of baby and doctors lately but just got the looks good and monitor so hopefully it stays that way and no more tests. Why I missed the last meet

Tank is doing really good, got the avast auto water change doing it's thing 1 gallon a day

Algea battle is turning in my favor slowly with where I harvest not growing back.

Qt...lost a bunch of the sps to 90deg temps when the ac broke....still got a few and dips have stayed clean

I think I'm at 6 weeks acro free in the main tank so almost ready to think about adding some...just waiting to get the qt more steady

Still need to finish skinning the hood and a few other small things but I'll try to get some pics

• 5 weeks later...

Alright I'm 10 weeks acro free, lost all the other sps I was dipping, of course this happens after I haven't seen any signs of aefw for 3 weeks......but now in will be sure I'm rid of these things

Had my overflow pipe loosen in the qt (bottom drilled)...and the last sps frags I had were dry for 2 days and did not make it...zoas seem fine at least

Once the ac gets fixed and temps are more stable I'll start the collection again

Got the hood all done up with 4 54w t5s, 2 d120s

Fish are all fat and happy, the montiporas I do have are growing and have great color so I'm happy with that.

Algea is slowly disappearing.

Haven't tested params except salinity. So far auto water change has been rock solid...big thanks to avast for that. Been arguing with my old aciii to get it online thankfully Tom has been helping and if I can get more time I should have it online soon...almost bought an apex But I think I'm going to wait and put that towards some nice frags instead

Last thing I need to do is get a new return pump, finish the manifold,and finish up the stand with doors and skin the hood. Eventually will get the CArx back online and thinking of trying the all in one pellets.

Will try to remember some pics

Pictures or its not true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk