too much light, too little light, or something else?

turbo2oh

So I hadn't really looked at the tank in the past few days and immediately noticed some of my monti's are partially bleached (not positve its bleaching but def. discolored). Another acro at the same height is browning. I have a few others that have their polyps retracted. Everything else seems ok including RBTA, fish, inverts. The only change I had made was adjusting my LEDs to be about 5% brighter for most of the day. I also started using a formula one food instead of the normal mysis.

Could that have caused this amount of damage?

Why would some be browning and others bleaching?

I've checked SG and it looks good. I'll test other params as soon as I can. I also started filling a RODI container for a water change hopefully tomorrow. I also stopped the GFO reactor but its been running for awhile and I still have good macro growth so I doubt thats it. Any ideas on what might be going on? 

Here's some before and after shots, the before were with a DSLR and the after were just now with my camera phone but the difference in the acro at the top and the montis should be evident. Another piece of the green monti near the bottom of the tank looks exactly the same.

BEFORE:

DSC_0083%201_Fotor.jpg
DSC_0034%201_Fotor.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_3441.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3445.jpg
Edited by turbo2oh

Your tank parameters would help. Do you have a controller setup, or test enough that you can track trends? What type of LED's are you running, 5% doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe it is? All your SPS are pretty hearty corals...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks like the montiporas are growing together. When my SPS touch they fight and it affects whole colony. Yea any fluctuations in alk and stuff freaks out. It's getting colder too make sure your temperature gauge is accurate

Edited by gmerek2

Yeah, I just tested and alk and calc were both real low. Alk was about 5.5-5.8. I don't dose and hadn't tested in quite awhile. Everything was growing well and water changes seemed to be keeping up with demand. I guess its time to either bump up the water change schedule or start dosing! I'm gonna try to do a water change tomorrow night and hopefully that brings levels back up to normal. Any chance these guys will turn it around if levels come back up to normal?

Should I try to do something more aggressive like baking soda or find some kalkwasser?

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Edited by turbo2oh

I wouldn't over react, they will bounce back for sure. Your montis will suck up the calc and alk, I would start figuring out a dosing regime, based on your tanks daily consumption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a water change 3 days ago. I tested again today and alk is 6.3, ca is 340. Everything looks about the same. I guess its unrealistic to expect things to color back up quickly. The only other change is my duncans are closed up today. Im not sure if I should plan for another water change shortly or let them adjust to parameter change for a week or two first. Previously alk was 5.5-5.8. Any thoughts?

Edited by turbo2oh

fluctuating water chemistry isn't good for corals. I suggest regular scheduled w/c, testing and recording of w/c, and a dosing plan where small amounts of 2 part are dosed accordingly.

fluctuating water chemistry isn't good for corals. I suggest regular scheduled w/c, testing and recording of w/c, and a dosing plan where small amounts of 2 part are dosed accordingly.

+1. If the problem is in your parameters, and they're not so far off as to be immediately lethal, rapid changes will likely do more harm than good (especially if you over-correct and have to back off). Test so you know where you are and where you want to be, and spend the time (say, at least several days to a week) to get there gradually.