Some questions and some polls for T5 users...

sethsolomon

Using T5's  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What type of fixture do you use?

• ATI
    • Guisennman
    • Aqua Traders
    • Icecap DIY
    • Red Sea
    • Other(Note in comments)
  2. 2. Number of Bulbs over your tank?

3. 3. Depth of your Aquarium?

• <18 inches (Note in comments)
    • 19-20 inches
    • 21-22 inches
    • 23-24 inches
    • 25-30 inches
    • >31 inches (Note in comments)
  4. 4. Favorite brand of bulb?(This you can select multiples)

• ATI
    • Guisennman
    • Redsea
    • UVL
    • Koralen Zucht
  5. 5. Fixture Length?

• 24 inches
    • 36 inches
    • 48 inches
    • 60 inches
    • 72 inches
  6. 6. Primary Coral type?

• SPS
    • LPS
    • Softies
    • Even Mixed Reef
    • NPS?
  7. 7. Do you use LED accents?

• Yes, Reef Brites
    • Yes, Other strips
    • Yes, Other LED
    • No
  8. 8. Have you used other lights? (This you can select multiples)

• 250w HQI Halides
    • 250w SE Halides
    • 400w SE Halides
    • 400w HQI Halides
    • LED
    • Power Compacts
    • VHOs (T12)
    • Par 38's
    • T8s

Hello Everyone!

So with the ever rising cost of running 2x 400w halides, 2 VHO's and more than 200watts of LED I am considering swapping to a carbonation of T5 and Reefbrites.

I am wondering what people are running for stats on there reefs in the ways of T5.

So all poll input and comments are appreciated.

Some stats on my tank:

150g XH

Calcium reactor dosing

40g breeder Triton layout sump

Bubble Magus Nac 6 modified skimmer

SPS dominant with some zoas.

Edited by sethsolomon

8 bulb ati sunpower with reefbrite xho or 2. The depth is what's the tricky part. Reefbrites will bring alot of blue back into the mix.

Blue+

Blue+

Purple+

Coral+

GE 6500k

Coral+

Blue+

Blue+

But I don't know if this is going to be any cheaper maintenance wise than you already have

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by khh27

8 bulb ati sunpower with reefbrite xho or 2. The depth is what's the tricky part. Reefbrites will bring alot of blue back into the mix.

But I don't know if this is going to be any cheaper maintenance wise than you already have

Yah the depth problem is what I am trying to figure out if it is feasible to do T5s.

As for maintence,  the 20K 400w Radium bulbs are rising in cost  currently it will cost me $150 per 8 months for replacing my halides, and $40 every year for my VHO's.   So the maintenance will be about the same and a much lower power consumption.

I will be sacrificing about 10-15% growth for a much better coral color.

Edited by sethsolomon

I found this article to be very interesting. It is very long. But I suggest scrolling down the page to see the various topics it covers. It may help you to address some of your questions: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

I use a combo of T5s and blue LEDs. The blue actinic lights (and blue LEDs) will be able to penetrate to deeper areas of the tank than other spectrum's (same concept that happens in the ocean).  My tank is a little over 26 inches deep, I use 6 T5s, and I grow these corals at the bottom of my tank around the sand bed: palawensis, seritopora, monti caps along with the usual lower light loving corals like chalices, favites, favias, duncans and acans. My next attempt is seeing how well deepwater acros do lower in the tank (1 out of 2 from MACNA is still going strong).

I tried out ATIs based on the videos below and I do love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-TbkPJhHkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSS_PoUX6o

Currently running from front to back of tank:

ATI Coral Plus

RedSea Actinic (peaks between 440-460nm)

RedSea10,000K

ATI RB Special

ATI Coral Plus

ATI Actinic (peak at 425nm and again at 450nm)

Blue LEDs: one strip along front and along the back of the lights above (on 24 hrs/day)

I have a 10K bulb in the mix for faster growth of corals (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/aafeature1).

Two different actinics to hit two different peaks in the 400-500nm range for better fluorescence.

Edited by Oxy

I am running a Tek T5 6 Bulb with a 50/50 of Blue+ and Coral+. Growth has been great with all my corals since switching from LED only. I think you will have no problem with PAR as I have my fixture 10 inches above the water and I'm growing SPS (stylos, birdsnests, and montis) on the floor of my 120g 4x2x2. Some of my lower light Acros I have at mid level and then I have all my high lights above them soaking in the rays. I got the fixture extremely cheap for $100 and was in very good condition. Has done wonders since switching, but I do miss the pop of the LED. I still get some very nice pop of colors with my bulb combo, and everything isn't washed out anymore. I'm currently building 2 reefbrite like fixtures for the front and back that will be all CREE RB and some Violet to get back the more intense pop. Personally I've tried just about every combo of T5 lamps and I keep coming back to this 50/50 combo. Corals have amazing color, fluorescent colors pop, great PAR readings and my yellows, reds ,oranges don't get as washed out. If I had to change anything, it would be getting an 8 bulb fixture as the 6 doesn't fully cover some of the back of the tank. Hopefully going to be fixed with the LED though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk