Water cooled LED fixture

paul b

I started making the frame of my water cooled LED fixture.  Now I am going to clean it up and connect the LEDs to it, them build a radiator.  Does anybody need a water cooled LED fixture?  Of course not.  It is just very cool.

2015-01-31%2005.16.03_zpsyhpopxbw.jpg

Here is a better picture

2015-01-31%2005.17.21_zps986wzl1d.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condensation only happens when you run cold water through a pipe that is in an area where it is warm.  The water in this pipe will be warm so there will be no condensation.  There will also be a plexiglass shield under this fixture for splashing.   It is true that copper is not the best thing to hang over a reef tank,  But I like living on the edge.  :rolleyes:

It is not in action yet because I am building it.  But you can look at the picture of it above and make believe there are 72 LEDs mounted on it and Christie Brinkley is helping me mount it over my tank.  That's what I do. :rolleyes:

I made a heat exchanger to use with a kerosene construction heater to try and pre-heat the water for my hot tub when filling since it takes DAYS for it to warm up. Unfortunately I didn't create enough passes or surface space. Water was only coming out around 80 degrees from a starting temp of about 60.

11a5163a169325315c2adb37a4b68759.jpg0458e43c9e7b4e1b43a8c57ec938b236.jpg9fa17b2f85d03c1206a08f6036dc5986.jpgd5b755263909821ba4fb21a7e1809922.jpgcbff98585d4b7f1480f50d9a0b35de46.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You need a lot more copper for that to make a pre heater.  I would use 1/4" tubing but I would use a lot of them.

I just came back from Radio Shack to get thermal adhesive and they looked at me like I had two heads.  They sell cell phone cases, batteries, robot dogs, MP3 players and headphones but almost nothing in real electronics.  That is a shame.  As a kid I could go there and get transistors, resistors, motors, solder, tiny light bulbs etc. now unless it is a stupid cell phone accessory, they don't have it so I have to get it on line.  It drives me crazy that no one does anything anymore or knows how.

I think thats because of their bankruptcy. The Radio Shacks around here had tons of the electronic goodies. And they all sold out were really cheap.

There are no intermittent Tees in the line.  That short copper pipe is just a support soldered to the outside of the pipe and is not a through connection.  I tested the flow through the thing and the flow is equal.  I ran hot water through it and all 3 tubes get hot at the same time.

I had to order the thermal adhesive on line because Radio Shack now only sells I Phone cases and little else.  So while I am waiting I am making copper disks out of flattened copper pipe and soldering them on to the tubing to give a flat surface for the LEDs. 
I used to have a bunch of sheet copper but I can't find it so instead of driving for five minutes to get some, I am using copper pipe and stamping out copper disks with a Whitney Punch.  It only takes a few minutes to make 10 of them.
2015-02-02%2000.06.30_zpsbmgtizmj.jpg

Here are a couple soldered on with an LED laying on it.

2015-02-02%2000.24.42_zps3zuq75hv.jpg

I thought you were going to put the LED's on a sheet and then attach the sheet to the piping. Do you think doing it the way you are doing it is going to make it any harder to replace the LED's when they burn out?

The LEDs will be hard to replace no matter what I do but these come from a fixture where they would be impossible to replace when they burn out which is how I came to have this fixture.  I am not going to run them at 100% so maybe they won't burn out, but if they do, I can replace them by just prying them off the copper disk and glueing on another one.  I was never going to put the LEDs on a sheet because they are water cooled and I don't need an air cooled heat sink.  They should run very cool as that is what I am trying to accomplish.  If it works, it works.

I just came back from Radio Shack to get thermal adhesive and they looked at me like I had two heads.  They sell cell phone cases, batteries, robot dogs, MP3 players and headphones but almost nothing in real electronics.  That is a shame.  As a kid I could go there and get transistors, resistors, motors, solder, tiny light bulbs etc. now unless it is a stupid cell phone accessory, they don't have it so I have to get it on line.  It drives me crazy that no one does anything anymore or knows how.

This drives me nuts. I had the same problem awhile back, looking for thermal compound. I showed them that it was in stock according to their website and they still had a hard time. I can remember going there as a kid 30-35 years ago and the people knew things, and could give advice about how components worked, etc. They just remodeled my local Radio Shack and moved all the electronic/hobby components to a smaller area.

what about Fry's or some computer store around new york?  Not Best Buy, of course, a real computer store.  Around here that's MicroCenter.  They'd definitely have thermal adhesive.  

I am not sure about Frys, but I already ordered it on line.  I should get It tomorrow.  This project is going to take me a long time because in a few days I am having an operation on my knee and my right hand.  And I am a righty so I won't be able to solder for a couple of weeks. 

I punched out and soldered on the 70 copper disks that will support the LEDs.  Now (if I get time) I will clean it up more and shoot the entire thing with some clear coat because copper turns green and ugly.  This way my Steam Punk look will last.   But before I do that, I will make and solder on the supports for the plexiglass shield and also the supports to hang it over the tank.     I am waiting for the thermal adhesive.  I still have to either build or buy the heater core for the cooling.

2015-02-04%2003.39.56_zpszq7yayp2.jpg

I was thinking of this same idea about a month ago. A student came into my office talking about building a PC with liquid coolant. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool if a t5 fixture had liquid coolant instead of fans....

Definitely following along.

Cool idea, Paul. Any idea what kind of spread you are going to get off the LED's? 70 LED's doesn't seem like a lot, especially spread over 6' (I presume this is around 6'.)

I was thinking of this same idea about a month ago. A student came into my office talking about building a PC with liquid coolant. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool if a t5 fixture had liquid coolant instead of fans....

Definitely following along.

There are liquid cooled PC's. One of our forum members has one that he built, it's ridiculously effective, and silent, that's a whole nother' hobby next to reef keeping.

There will be 72 LEds on this fixture which is twice the amount I have now which is only 48 over a 6' tank and my corals do fine.  Not many SPS because of this light limitation so maybe by improving it by 100% will help me keep more types of corals.

There will be 72 LEds on this fixture which is twice the amount I have now which is only 48 over a 6' tank and my corals do fine. Not many SPS because of this light limitation so maybe by improving it by 100% will help me keep more types of corals.

Fair enough! You will need sunglasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I decided not to use thermal switches for this project because I have a better idea. Today I built a water flow cut off switch that also allows me to see if the water is flowing visually. What I am planning to do is have the timer that turns on the lights, turn on the water pump instead of the lights. When the water starts flowing through the pipe, The water flow will raise a magnet encased in a glass cylinder that is in a vertical acrylic tube. When the magnet gets near the top of the cylinder, it trips the magnetic switch that turns on the LEDs. When the pump goes off, the magnet will drop, breaking the circuit to the lights.  I would like to take credit for this, but I didn't invent it.  I saw a very similar switch on the net.  With this installed, the LEDs can't go on unless there is water flowing and if water is flowing, the fixture will stay cool.  Even if the water leaks out of the system, the lights will not turn on whish is what I want.  By looking at the position of the magnet, I can determine if water is flowing.

Flow%20switch_zpso3c98gwq.jpg

Flow%20switch_zpso3c98gwq.jpg