Gmerek2's 240g mixed reef "48 off"

gmerek2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7dcda1ee161c90088b036c3e2386efb7.jpg

Thanks! Might be a bit till I can do a full tank shot. Frag racks in the way but I’m e

Working on moving the frag racks to sump. Here is sarmentosa update. Sold to me as rainbow tenuis. Lots of bushy polyps very nice and hardy coral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

107e4e4ce3b9998cc955954eee4877fc.jpg

This stick has an amazing blue to it and I just love the polyps. It’s called ORA borealis. Very sensitive it will STN then bounce back. It’s my second attempt at keeping one. Had this booger for a year and have not fragged yet! (Will probably always be afraid to lol)

Another amazing blue one FINNALLYY sending up some branches. True blues are so hard to find! I have had this one for two years only fragged once (as a back up will keep it in my 65)f4fe2bbf84118c9f9da09ef8f0368acd.jpg

Too embarrassed about the frag racks everywhere for FTS. No time for frag tank. Here is my cherry bomb tenuis. The price I paid is silly. But it’s also a sick piece. Also is RR orange passion. My second attempt is going swell lol 2f65179ef67bbcb34f5290d02d0e0648.jpg

Today is a sad day. I knew the time would come when I would see this guy eating coral as I had about 2562 warnings about them changing diet as they matured. It was given to me a year ago. So I passed it on to someone I felt could give it an appropriate sized home. This is the first fish I had given up. My fish are family to me and are usually with me till the end. 34b16d2907e3bf535135ea9f454a71be.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

7f4d04e007a03bcd8f4265008885355d.jpg

Target Mandarin. Newest addition to the family traded for SPS at LFS. I noticed about 78 copepods per square inch on my glass (barely exaggerating). So I figured I would be able to keep this guy. He will not touch flake, pellets or frozen despite the other fish trying to train him. Luckily he’s gained weight/grown since buying 4 months ago and has not even put a dent in pod population yay!

Edited by gmerek2

Target Mandarin. Newest addition to the family traded for SPS at LFS. I noticed about 78 copepods per square inch on my glass (barely exaggerating). So I figured I would be able to keep this guy. He will not touch flake, pellets or frozen despite the other fish trying to train him. Luckily he’s gained weight/grown since buying 4 months ago and has not even put a dent in pod population yay!

I’ve never been able to keep them, beautiful fish though. Good luck, I’m sure you won’t need it!

It looks really beauty, i have had two in my tank and one just disappeared couple weeks ago:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could see how mandarin would starve to death easy or could get damaged in shipping or bullied easy. Mine eats pods non stop and I supplement it with frozen. My previous tanks had only had the large fast pods but this one has some really tiny ones everywhere!! In my 65g the wrasse keeps the small ones at bay. I can only see them in places the wrasse can’t reach like behind a coral or behind the anemone basket. But this tank nothing seems to eat them but the mandarin so they are alll over the place. I want to buy it a mate since it didn’t even put a dent in population. Trying to keep this pic heavy so here we go! My yellow millipora is finally worth photographing! I was new to hobby when I had bought it. Killed all but two polyps. Now 3 years later this lolb1042daaba5a3d888e4683d3a77198a7.jpg

Here is a pic of the small pods. Are the large ones not pictured amphipods and these small ones Copepods? Feel free to post a pic of each if you have a sweet macro. These little guys are usually most densely populated in the corners of the tank. 502694f4165b0820be8b054d55de9b19.jpg

Yellow Millie is bomb! I don’t see posts like that in my tank. One time when I qt’d all my fish I sure did though!

61f33eabd8be8a57beb8239efc543230.jpg

My tank right now have three kind of pod which you can see the copepod and the middle one. The ampipod is bigger and swim fast and curve like shrimp..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just need to rant a little cuz it’s late and I have had a few glasses of wine. We all lose stuff and none of us are as perfect as our build threads. I get false impressions reading all these build threads online everyone is so perfect (Wamas is most honest) So just an example I want to share: probably 70% of the SPS corals I buy die within a year or two. Mariculture acros, don’t bother. Wild SPS, guess what? a lot of it doesn’t do well in captivity LONG term. Buy the acro species you see listed often and listed often from Several different homegrown sources. Realize that an individual may often have either extremely good talent or short term great luck with growing. Something that does well in your tank may not do well in mine and vice versa. Don’t let me be a Debbie downer the 30% I can grow long term I’m going to grow like weeds and will frag the F out of it and my corals offspring are going to be around in this area a long time after I die. Which helps our oceans and hobby. And for me I love doing it!!!

Just need to rant a little cuz it’s late and I have had a few glasses of wine. We all lose stuff and none of us are as perfect as our build threads. I get false impressions reading all these build threads online everyone is so perfect (Wamas is most honest) So just an example I want to share: probably 70% of the SPS corals I buy die within a year or two. Mariculture acros, don’t bother. Wild SPS, guess what? a lot of it doesn’t do well in captivity LONG term. Buy the acro species you see listed often and listed often from Several different homegrown sources. Realize that an individual may often have either extremely good talent or short term great luck with growing. Something that does well in your tank may not do well in mine and vice versa. Don’t let me be a Debbie downer the 30% I can grow long term I’m going to grow like weeds and will frag the F out of it and my corals offspring are going to be around in this area a long time after I die. Which helps our oceans and hobby. And for me I love doing it!!!

:thumbsup:

my # is a bit higher than 30%  :laugh:   33% to be exact

The last 3 coral frags I purchased were yours. Doing great for several months and then 2 of 3 died for no reason.

I have had these type of corals before (purple slimmer and cali and/or oregon tort) and never had any luck with them, I figured I get lucky with yours, but guessed not. Usually, I tried 3 or 4 time and if no go then give up and on my do not buy list :happy:

(milli, red dragon, purple monti, green monti, superman monti, gold torch/hammer just name a few). GSP and Xenia were on my no buy too but recently got some and seem to be doing quite well (hope doesn't jink for saying it). 

41472901644_b0c86becba_n.jpgCali tort and purple slimmer by t@#$%c, on Flickr

41472901444_348609a2ee_n.jpgCali tort and purple slimmer by t@#$%c, on Flickr

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Blue tenuis doing well despite some

phosphate issues that killed a couple pieces. One month growth comparison pics. I just wish it would start growing in the other direction also lol

0d8f67a8f1bba799a8206b9d53597367.jpg2453dff6c619ca08d98fe751d7a4d332.jpg