Gmerek2's 240g mixed reef "48 off"

gmerek2

f154544a2eed56dcb15516dd2efebb7f.jpgStarted filling the tank August 19 2015. This is a glass cages 240wide 72x30x25tall I wanted enough room to squeeze behind the tank and I want the sump near the slop sink for ease of maintenance. So the location in my basement was a very easy choice. I have never cycled or built a tank before so it should be a pretty wild ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gmerek2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

ee417d61136cbd470ca70563aad54fb1.jpg6c97994b62e49fdac7ee693e457826e5.jpg

You can see a difference in the starphire glass. Back panel is regular front and sides starphire. Will it make a difference? Probably not but I wanted to try it out. Came in the mail April 20. I'm building this and still running the 125. I will eventually transfer most of the corals from the 125. Balancing the hobby and family life can sometimes be challenging with running two tanks!

Edited by gmerek2

(edited)

cb6dcee4c288ba8dfefdb1efe9398884.jpg

14a9445f3674c46ddbec444a6e9d936a.jpg

I'm using my old LEDs temporarily until I can set up the T5. 3 fish went in around October 20. It was cycled with the ammonia in the bottle sitting on tank.

Edited by gmerek2

NTS started with diatoms after putting fish in. Now algae bloom which I think is awesome because I can add snails. Really started enjoying watching this thing come alive. I ignored calibrating my refractometer with everything going on. On top of that I found a snail on my ATO sensor and an overfilled sump in the 125. Soooo a lot of my SPS I plan on transferring is currently in STN mode and I'm trying my Hardest to keep all numbers stable for them to hopefully pull through. This pic makes me cringe but I'll post it anyhow to show what the SPS is going through. 49ca711330eaef0d985bb7caed39389b.jpg

(edited)

Oops forgot the up to date 240 pic with new tank syndrome algae bloom. My nitrates are high as seen on top of the tank. I'm willing to bet that's part of NTS also. I plan on bumping up water changes and increase skimming. 1d641e5d6c9a54f78bfa84ff30056294.jpg

Edited by gmerek2

(edited)

Thanks guys I'm excited also. Cut some test frags a couple days ago. A couple of them I guess were more panic cuts since I'm having issues with STN in the 125. But two days later and they are looking great. The tank is not looking good with algae bloom. Curious if the bloom is bringing nitrates down. I'll check after water change. 57af92f0c608f5f2b2ca650a07e149b9.jpg

Edited by gmerek2

That's a nice upgrade for sure, but those overflows make me cringe at the thought of all the lost real estate! The starphire glass looks green :P

Sublime I thought the coral hoarding AA classes fixed those thoughts! John you are right something isn't right with this tank already. Crazy growth and radioactive growth and stuff going on I can't explain. People said wait till stable well I have never seen growth bumps this quick on my Ora birds of paradise or encrustations/white polyps on my red dragon like this. I'll keep main colonys in the main display but I want to cut huge test frags now. Fish list will consist of fish transferred from my last tank. Plus some blue chromis. I'll re consider after! Right now I have one yellow tang, one cleaner wrasse, and one red hawkfish

Edited by gmerek2

Here is a test frag of zoas. Looks like it's ready for more test frags of zoas. 3df1af75f0b029faa4391f074d7ab39c.jpg

Edited by gmerek2

• 2 months later...

The green tank quickly turned to red massive cyano outbreak. Wish I would have snapped a pic. But anyhow tank is not ready for the more sensitive sps. Currently there are some but not a lot dinoflagellates irritating stuff. Bought my first clams!!!! 6b01508c53b2089f3c20b8d768005673.jpg70f50c1f8867e8da4e9f412fbd12126c.jpg

4dd88ca20fba1c333e2e755367c9dd9d.jpg

Left: chucheli purplegreen Staghorn. WWC blue Staghorn. Right: live aquaria ORA borealis

• 2 months later...