Emerick Elementary Tank

Emerick Elementary

At the beginning of the year, we started out with 6 fish, but now we only have three. One fish had a tragic death and was eaten by 2 serpent sea stars and another got stuck on the filter and died. It has been a total of three that have disappeared or died recently though.We are wondering  why some of our new fish are having difficulty surviving? We have noticed that some fish are more aggressive than others.

• 3 weeks later...

In our tank there are different types of wildlife we have our fish, which we talked about in our latest blog, and then we have  Cinnamon Clownfish pair,, Yellowtail damsels, serpent starfish,and various snails. These are all the types of wildlife in our tank.

Can you tell us a little bit more about your tank? Size? Lighting? Filtration? Salinity? Temperature?!

Do you have any pictures?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FISH TANK REVIEW

There hasn't been very much activity in the fish tank. All that is visible in the tank is swimming cautiously, and carefully. These last two deaths have been the very thing that these three fish have been trying to avoid. As the Serpent Sea Stars stalk their prey, other things have been going on in this tank. A baby starfish died earlier in the year. The Serpent Sea Stars have been hiding in what looks like a game of hide n' seek. As I observed the fish tank once more, I found that these sea stars are actually on the side of the tank. I also viewed a bunch of small, and beautiful shells huddled together in a small group. It would be truly fascinating if one (or both) of the Serpent Sea Stars collected those shells, and placed them in that very spot. As I look back for the last time at the fish tank, I see one of the long, thin tentacles move up very slowly from the sea star. The Yellowtail Damsel is swimming sweetly in the water, the Cinnamon Clownfish is staring through the glass, and the Serpent Sea Stars are still clinging onto the blue, solid tank wall.

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I am Matthew from the Emerick fifth grade class. The fish tank we have is awesome. Every week someone gets to clean and feed the fish. It helps us with responsibilities, but we are down to one fish. So...we would like some more fish. PLEASE!!!

Hello, 

I am Matthew from the Emerick fifth grade class. The fish tank we have is awesome. Every week someone gets to clean and feed the fish. It helps us with responsibilities, but we are down to one fish. So...we would like some more fish. PLEASE!!!

Hello Matthew from Emerick Fifth Grade Class.

Glad you are enjoying the tank. Have you considered why your fish might be dying or disappearing? Usually there is a reason, such as poor health, water conditions, or a predator. Does anybody test the salinity of the water there? Does anybody do any other tests on the water there?

Looking forward to your answers!