Contemplating Elegance Coral

Bruleyii

I've been thinking about getting an elegance coral for a while. I've just read and heard bad things about them like they carry diseases and are really tough to frag. 

Does anyone have any experience with elegance? Do they have long feelers? Should I just scrap the idea until I get a massive tank down the road?

There so many other corals that will do well and this one is questionable . They are cool for a while until they die. I have had a few. Just my 2 cents

get one from a source with a good track record of selling healthy elegance corals.  Not just any off the shelf of a fish store.  

All good to know. I just love the look of them and the different variations you can get. I've just seen them grow pretty big and heard or read that they dont handle fragging well.

They absolutely dont handle fragging well/dont look good with fragging unless you have a huge one with multiple separate heads, but that's inherent with this type of coral.

I have had one for 2-3 years now and it has probably increased in size six fold. The ones from australia do well. The indonesian ones dont. Get it from a good source and be confident it's australian and you'll be good.

You can check out my build thread or TOTM page for pictures, but they do take up a lot of room so that's something to think about

I've never had a problem with elegance. I have sold two, and they are both doing well. I think the issues with the elegance is there are two types, a indo version, and an aussie version. I think it's the indo that does not fair well in our trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seth was telling me that the indos tend to be the ones that get brown disease (or whatever its called). Im just worried about the size they get, if they are aggressive and the fragging of them if they do get too big. 

I don't think you should consider fragging. It would be similar to scoly propagation. I would treat it like a BTA that is less likely to move, although it can swell up and float around. If it gets too big then sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you should consider fragging. It would be similar to scoly propagation. I would treat it like a BTA that is less likely to move, although it can swell up and float around. If it gets too big then sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm. Thats an idea too. 

Elegance over the years have really received a bad name due to the Indonesian ones. The Aussie Elegance are very hardy and thrive in captivity compared to their counterparts from Indo. The easiest way to tell is by the skeletal structure on the bottom. The Aussie Elegance has a distinct cone bottom and be sure you only purchase one of those if you do indeed get an elegance. Let me know if you have any additional questions as I'd be more than happy to assist.

Elegance over the years have really received a bad name due to the Indonesian ones. The Aussie Elegance are very hardy and thrive in captivity compared to their counterparts from Indo. The easiest way to tell is by the skeletal structure on the bottom. The Aussie Elegance has a distinct cone bottom and be sure you only purchase one of those if you do indeed get an elegance. Let me know if you have any additional questions as I'd be more than happy to assist.

How is the skeleton on the indos?

I've never had a problem. Mine is huge about the size of 3 softballs. Surf&turf has the biggest onebive ever seen. Looks like a carpet nem its huge