tpallas' 50g Coldwater Slice of the Shoreline

tpallas

Impatient for my acros to grow, so adding another tank! Fortunately my girlfriend has caught the bug and told me after MACNA that in addition to my dropoff tank and her softie tank, we need to get a jellyfish tank, a freshwater planted tank, and the coldwater tank. We saw a number of really incredible coldwater tanks in the Vancouver Aquarium, which was phenomenal.

Up next to build is the coldwater tank, which I have wanted to do for quite some time now. However I don't particularly like most of the setups I see online, as they do not look realistic like a good reef tank. So based on research online, I've decided to set up the tank as a rocky shoreline with waves crashing against it. The concept is a long, slender tank with the water level halfway up to create a large, violent crashing wave over a rock backdrop and rock structures rising above the waterline. Below this will be various coldwater anemones mostly, but also other invertebrates, kelp, and fish. I'm really targeting animals from the Pacific Northwest.

Once again I turn to Adam and Artfully Acrylic to turn my concept into reality.

While I know what the tank will look like, because it's not complicated, but the devil is definitely in the details on this one. For starters we will need 3/4", if not 1" acrylic, to account for condensation due to temperature (55 degrees). I will post my incredibly concept concept (hand) drawing, but I'd like the stand to be furniture grade (Adam take note), with a hood. The tank is going into a reading room we are setting up in our new apartment, so it will need to blend in.

Beyond that are the practical considerations and difficulties of the wave, the insert, and the filtration. Lighting is, for once, easy as everything is non photosynthetic. Adam and I have been discussing the wave. I researched surge tanks, but we both agreed the application in this instance was not practical due to space limitations. If I was building this tank in wall, I would most definitely use multiple surge tanks. So that leaves us with the decision to use a Tunze Wavebox to create the wave.

Next is filtration, and to be honest I need to do more research here. Part of me wants to plumb in a canister filter and call it a day. Another part wants a protein skimmer and a wet/dry. But any sump would have to be in thick acrylic, and the plumbing as well. One idea is to put the filtration off to the side or in the rear like an AIO. If anyone here is a coldwater guru, input would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest equipment selection choice will be the chiller. With the commercially available aquarium chiller units available, I'm not too concerned.

I'm very excited to get this project going. Hopefully it will not take as long to get water in it as the dropoff did, but as Adam will tell you I am obsessed with details and like to think this through very carefully before he starts work. I'd definitely like to hear everyone's thoughts!

Cheers

Tom

Well obviously I'm "subscribed" lol.  You ain't kidding about the details Tom....I believe we worked on the little details of the dropoff for 6 months'ish before ironed out? LOL.

Obviously being a coldwater tank ACRYLIC is the absolutely best!  This should be interesting.

Making the coast/rock crashing waves will be a challenge, but I bet we can get it all figured out.  That and the arrangement necessary for it to happen is probably my favorite part of the project.

Looking forward to it Tom!  Let's get crankin'!

Been doing some solid research and strategerizing with Adam. The Coldwater Marine Aquarium group on Facebook has been particularly helpful, I definitely recommend it!

First I decided on final dimensions - 66" long, 24" deep and 24" high. I had originally envisioned this as a 3 or 4 foot tank, but I've decided to put it against the back wall where the bookshelf currently is and maximize the experience. The stand I would like to be 36" high to have good viewing while standing.There will also be a hood to tie it together as a furniture-grade piece, and to prevent light spillage.

Acrylic thickness is important for three reasons in this application. First is to prevent condensation, second is to provide insulation to keep chilling costs down, and third is to provide sufficient strength for the wave action. We decided on using 1" acrylic over 3/4" acrylic, with the third factor being the deciding one.

As for filtration, I've decided to go the sump route. I will be using a protein skimmer, and biological filtration media such as bio balls (submerged) or dry tropical rock. I've not decided on the protein skimmer to use, so open to recommendations there. I anticipate the total water volume to be around 75 gallons.

As for lighting I am going LED - some coldwater anemones are photosynthetic, so I will need some power. It will be towards the white end of the spectrum, so I'm thinking a couple of AI units. I think it will be neat to have the lightning storm function in this setup.

My 2 immediate actions are to provide a final drawing to Adam for rendering, and to order the Tunze Wavebox. Adam and I need to play around with it to understand the waves we can make, where best to position it, and identify if we need a second unit or not.

Cheers

Tom

I'm so excited to see this!

Always loved Steve Weast's tank, here: http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/06/cold-water-reef-tank/  and website here: http://oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm 

Have you thought about a surge tank for wave action?  

I have a 3/4 hp chiller lying around in the hopes of setting up a cold water reef one day, but it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.  If you're looking for one shoot me a pm!

Edited by L8 2 RISE

As for chiller, I recommend looking into Teco chillers.  They are the most energy efficient of the chillers.  

Awesome - thanks for the tip!

I'm so excited to see this!

Always loved Steve Weast's tank, here: http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/06/cold-water-reef-tank/  and website here: http://oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm 

Have you thought about a surge tank for wave action?  

I have a 3/4 hp chiller lying around in the hopes of setting up a cold water reef one day, but it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.  If you're looking for one shoot me a pm!

Me too - Steve's tank is amazing.

We did think about using a surge tank. The limiting factor is my desire for this to be furniture grade with a hood. Nowhere to hide the surge tank. However, if I was building this in-wall (and I would if I didnt live in an apartment), I would most definitely use 2 surge tanks, one at either end.

So I asked Roger at Tunze USA as to which Wavebox is suitable for this application. He tells me it's good I have a long tank as these are more conducive to larger waves. It sounds like with 2 units, I can get a 1.5" wave, which should be pretty good. They are releasing a new unit soon, the 6214, which is similar in size to the 6215 but quieter, albeit a bit less powerful (I think 2 units will be enough in this tank). So I will preorder them.

In the meantime I've sent my newest specs over to Adam to do the rendering. Looking forward to it!

What about doing an oceans motions under the tank and having the return pump oscillate between the two ends?

Great idea, I'll look into that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk