150g Anemone Propagation System

Leishman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one of my bubble tips go down the overflow and end up in a filter sock. Found it about 7 days later. But instead of finding it dead, it split from 1 into 5 smaller ones. Pulled em all out and they are all doing great.

Although I'm not sure I can recommend this method :)

Step right up folks and see the miracle method for splitting your anemone.  You sir.... You look like a man with tank problems.  Step right up and watch the miracle that is the filter sock method.   :tongue:

I think you've got a way to at least make enough money to pay for your hobby.  Which is saying a lot, given how much most people spend.

I haven't used Rod's predator blend and I have nothing against the frozen food preparations.  But I see those 3 oz frozen packages for something like $8 and do a little math in my head and get to $45 a pound for fish.  I think if you're trying to turn a profit you could put shrimp or salmon chunks in the anems and the whole pieces should be taken with little waste.  

I think whole pieces of shrimp or salmon are more like $4 per pound than $45.  That kind of thing might not matter if you were feeding a 30 gallon reef tank for fun, but if you're trying to be profitable I think you can't go wrong with real shrimp and other alternative whole fish for variety.

That's just my two cents worth.

Edited by dave w

One of the guys at avast told me he could naturally make nems spit by stressing them. You can pull the baskets up out of the tank so the nems are exposed for 30 mins or an hour then drop the baskets back in. Apparently worked very well and no cutting needed. Could be some thing to try down the road. Good luck and sick nems!!!!

That sounds like me :)

It worked by letting them spread over the rocks they were attached to during an extended length water change.  The first time I did it was by accident when I drained some water, left the nems high and dry, went to get the clean saltwater and accidentally spilled the bucket.  Had to make up some new water which I let mix for 30 min, and dumped it in.  Behold, a few days later, probably 4 extra anemones.  It worked every time after that.  I think they keys were the sharp edges of the rocks + exposure to air + "new" saltwater.  Probably any sort of similar stressors would do it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

they keep the foot in the pvc and extend out. All are in baskets so there is no rock for them to get to. removing them from the PVC to cut is real easy

I am wondering if you transferred in the pvc is they'd stay put and prevent the walk around the tank