150g Anemone Propagation System

Leishman

This is a recap of the past nine months. The whole journey can be seen here: http://reef2reef.com/threads/150g-anemone-prop-system.189647/

Here’s my latest project. A BTA propagation system. I’m doing this just for fun, at least for now. I started with an old 120"x24"x12" coral tub and five D120s from a Richard over @ ERC. The lights are hung on a 2x4 rack suspended by a bike lift, that way I can easily adjust the height as needed. At first there was no sump, all filtration was in the tub, and I built an egg crate barrier to keep the RBTAs from the skimmer, heater, and pumps, but within a week the barrier moved, a nem got by and found a powerhead.

IMG_8784_zpsa1709448.jpg

Nem munching pumps, and a lack of surface skimming, led to an ‘in tank’ sump. This too proved to be less than optimal.

IMG_6538_zps9575836d.jpg

So I added an in tub 20g as a sump, the 10g sitting on top is the FW reservoir for the Avast Marine ATO. I also made some hanging racks to hold pond planter baskets containing the nems.

IMG_6539_zps25023439.jpg

Drilled 20g to surface skim to the Avast Marine skimmer and bio pellet reactor.

IMG_6540_zps07d015f1.jpg

The hanging basket solution did not work - baskets were collecting surface scum due to the PVC hanging rack. The next attempt (still in use) is pontoon style baskets. Now the baskets can freely float higher in the water, and flow through is perfect (after I enlarged the holes at surface level).

IMG_9061_zps3c292639.jpg

Edited by Leishman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you splitting them or letting them split on their own? This looks fun btw. Did you see the lemon drops at MACNA?

Here is the bifurcation station. It has a 18"x24" cutting board ($13 from Restaurant Supply | Restaurant Equipment Store ) a 10g tank, and a large shallow tub. Hold in tub, cut, place in 10g with air stone and carbon ‘till all cuts are done, place in AIO in the main system for 24hrs before returning to the baskets.

IMG_9058_zps7832037e.jpg

Edited by Leishman

Fast forward a few months…….. and I had a significant setback. I was at 59 nems then I had a crash. After getting things under control, I had 29 remaining. (this was late July ’15)

I got too confident. I had a good system in place, and one day I didn't follow it. I cut 8 nems, 4 each from 2 strains, and just tossed them back in the baskets without keeping them isolated with extra carbon first. I think that started the tail spin. I don't think the bio pellet reactor, GAC, and skimmer was enough to deal with all generated waste. Since adding a sump with live rock, the nems stopped getting excessive foot slime, algae on the baskets stopped growing (I was cleaning the baskets weekly, now I do it once a month) and the surviving nems stopped turning to mush!

Fingers crossed.

In early August I decided to change up the flow and let one strain out of the baskets, they looked like they were getting too much light. To remove the impending death by impeller, I inverted the pumps, and housed them in the baskets. Egg crate and a couple zip ties locks them in place.

IMG_0598_zps8nh4vcsi.jpg

IMG_0601_zpsm6ebmjhh.jpg

On pulse mode, this has created a lot of water movement.

Edited by Leishman

Awesome, following along. Nems are quickly becoming my favorite tank residents :)

Those are beautiful! What is the middle one called? I'm sure you picked these up on day 1? There wasn't much around on day 3.

Did you see the lemon drops at MACNA?

Using a 5" ceramic knife.  Cuts like a razor, and never needs sharpening.  The lemondrops at MACNA were nice.  I'll move to the 'name brands' in 2016 after I work out all the kinks.

Those are beautiful! What is the middle one called? I'm sure you picked these up on day 1? There wasn't much around on day 3.

I got 10 at MACNA.  Four on Sat, and six on Sun.  All 10 were from Joe @ Joeknowsreefs.com

Edited by Leishman

Oh I must've missed those :(. The one I did pick up in Itty bitty but perky as all get out. Good luck with the set up, it's really helpful for those of us that are interested in doing something along those lines down the road!

One of the guys at avast told me he could naturally make nems spit by stressing them. You can pull the baskets up out of the tank so the nems are exposed for 30 mins or an hour then drop the baskets back in. Apparently worked very well and no cutting needed. Could be some thing to try down the road. Good luck and sick nems!!!!

What is your feeding schedule and food of choice

I had one of my bubble tips go down the overflow and end up in a filter sock. Found it about 7 days later. But instead of finding it dead, it split from 1 into 5 smaller ones. Pulled em all out and they are all doing great.

Although I'm not sure I can recommend this method :)