THANK YOU WAMAS-Smithsonian

Caribbean Jake

112WAMAS_ZOO.JPG

Thank you to all that in one way or other had to do with the activity yesterday at The Smithsonian National Zoo, Invertebrate Exhibit.

Jakie (seen in picture) enjoyed the feeding of Octopus and Spine Lobster, although he didn't get to see the Mantis Shrimp feeding. He also enjoyed playing with shells and livestock in the water tank for kids - seen on picture.

Very well organized, great presentations by Tammie and Mike, great information about the livestocks and during the feeding events. We all enjoyed as a family. Great, let's keep it up. When is the next one? ? ? ?

Jacob

Guest Tomsimtim

I too wanted to say my thanks to the National Zoo for letting WAMAS in to get a private tour of the invertabrate facility. What a wonderful time I had, my wife (non-aquarist) had a good time too.

I also saw an opportunity for WAMAS there at the Smithsonian Museum National Zoo. The very first display tank is titled Corals. The display of Sinularia and Elegance coral is very impressive and any of us as aquarists, would love to have such fine examples of those corals in our own tank. The Smithsonian Museum is an internationally known institution and is known for preservation of culture, science, and art. As impressive as the Corals tank is, and as it beautifly features two specimens of coral from the Indo-Pacific region of the ocean, the bio-diversity of a coral reef may not be as well represented as it could be.

WAMAS is blessed with a supply of people with a love of the coral reef and an understanding of the captive reef environment. The Smithsonian Museum is a source of national pride for all of us. As such the lovely display currently working could be a representation of the bio-diversity by not only featuring the species Sinularia and Elelegance, but also Acropora, Montipora, Gorgonia and the rest of the marine environment.

I believe WAMAS could provide the coral specimens, time, energy and volunteers to care for and make the Corals tank at the Smithsonian Museum National Zoo a wonderful display of bio-diversity and an example of a captive reef environment without taking a single specimen from the wild.

Come on WAMAS! Let's see what your made of!

Tim Shepard

THANK YOU BOB, GARY and Especially TAMMY for setting this up!

Truely was something special to see all the behind the scenes event and see the feeding!

My 12yr old daughter Jessica brought her 2 friends and she will be the talk of the school after this!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Jake,

I don't remember it exactly, but if you go to the zoo's website or the FONZ website (friends of the national zoo) you should be able to find it through there.

Scott

I also saw an opportunity for WAMAS there at the Smithsonian Museum National Zoo. The very first display tank is titled Corals. The display of Sinularia and Elegance coral is very impressive and any of us as aquarists, would love to have such fine examples of those corals in our own tank. The Smithsonian Museum is an internationally known institution and is known for preservation of culture, science, and art. As impressive as the Corals tank is, and as it beautifly features two specimens of coral from the Indo-Pacific region of the ocean, the bio-diversity of a coral reef may not be as well represented as it could be.

WAMAS is blessed with a supply of people with a love of the coral reef and an understanding of the captive reef environment. The Smithsonian Museum is a source of national pride for all of us. As such the lovely display currently working could be a representation of the bio-diversity by not only featuring the species Sinularia and Elelegance, but also Acropora, Montipora, Gorgonia and the rest of the marine environment.

Tim Shepard

We (WAMAS) were going to do this a few years ago, the first time we had a social there. However, once we got into the paperwork, the zoo can only accept frags/corals from other AZA societies (American Zoological Association). Since none of our members are aza, we can't donate. Also, Bruce Carlson visited the tank and told the zoo that if they changed the tank, there would be a good chance the elegance would die since it appears to be happy now in its current nutrient rich tank. Adding a new tank to zoo, I think would appear to be a funding issue to some extent - most donations to zoo go to the panda and little trickles down to invert house :wall:

Guest Ominojacu

Sorry, I missed it, the wife and kid were both sick, oh well, next time. Maybe we can start a collection for a new tank at the zoo, they can name it the WAMAS tank.

Guest mikesroth

Thanks for having us. Family had a great time at the event. Although I have to say... The Zoo Might need to expand this exhibit, as we sure did fill up that Building!!!!! :D

Thanks you very much who ever was involved in arranging this event. As a new WAMAS member this outing was a real treat for my 3 year old son (who is still talking about the octopus), my wife and I. So thanks WAMAS! About the zoo coral dispaly...wow! Less is more or is it more/bigger of less? Beautiful. Coming home, we're still happy with slowly building up our new 72g bowfront.... ;)

All the best,

Nadir

Hi,

I'd like to thank WAMAS to organize this wonderful event. My kids and friends had a very good time visiting the exhibits. My kids love the giant Octopus and very happy to see the feeding demo. Special thanks to Tammy, Mike, and Gary who work hard to make it happen . I'd just want to express my appreciation here in this message board.

--Tom

Guest Tomsimtim

Is there a way to become AZA certified, or do you have to be some sort of working research facility?

Tim

We (WAMAS) were going to do this a few years ago, the first time we had a social there. However, once we got into the paperwork, the zoo can only accept frags/corals from other AZA societies (American Zoological Association). Since none of our members are aza, we can't donate. Also, Bruce Carlson visited the tank and told the zoo that if they changed the tank, there would be a good chance the elegance would die since it appears to be happy now in its current nutrient rich tank. Adding a new tank to zoo, I think would appear to be a funding issue to some extent - most donations to zoo go to the panda and little trickles down to invert house :wall:

Thank you to everyone who set this up and those that came.

I especially liked the free shoe wash.

Thanks for being the bartender at the social and then back at my house.

But I gotta be honest,

I didn't think you guys were ever gonna to leave! :D

yes, thanks to all. My 6 and 3 year old were thrilled, only slightly less that I. Dano