Biocube as a display refugium

MeghanisradxD

Somebody gave me a 29 gallon biocube recently and I hadn't decided what I want to do with it, but was thinking about possibly tying it into my 75 as a display refugium. The 75 isn't drilled, so that may break this project, but wondering if anybody had some ideas on how this could be done? Totally in idea stages right now, so no solid plans as of yet.

I know most people are totally against HOB overflows, but was thinking that would be how I tied it into the display? Any ideas are welcome.

Edited by MeghanisradxD

Sometimes overflows that require use of an Aqualifter type device can fail because the device fails - I had a couple of CPRs (a dual bulkhead and a single bulkhead). I made some pvc overflows a few years ago that seemed nearly foolproof, though the flow rate is very low (have to use a very small return pump and leave the flow task totally to power heads). The pvc overflows are really easy to make.

if you kept it low enough, you could drain into it then into your sump. I'm confident that either the back or bottom is not tempered, so you can drill it (I'm going with the back, the bottoms are usually tempered, but don't listen to me, make sure of it first!) I would definitely drill it and hard plumb it, and either have it drain down from your drain pipe, or run it off a manifold from your main pump as a 'separate' system. When I tied a 20 gallon into my 150, I just used a separate pump. Someone smarter than me will have better ideas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk