Need advice how to best get out of hobby

MrSexyShrimp

Hi everyone,

I've been going through a tumultuous period at my work leading up to a re-org. Luckily I'm not losing my job, but it was the wake-up call I needed. Quietly I'm going to do what I need to do in the next few months to prepare my condo for sale and move to the other coast.

This isn't my final "getting out of the hobby and selling everything" thread, but I'd like your advice to know how to best do that.

My ideal scenario is not to sell everything piecemeal --- I live in Logan Circle (D.C.) and in my experience most of you hobbyists live in suburban VA, and it can be a pain to coordinate.

I'd really like to sell my (limited) livestock and equipment all together and help out someone new to the hobby, like so many of you did for me.

With MACNA coming up I figured this might be a good week? A lot of people are going to be in D.C. anyway.

I'm prioritizing convenience over making the maximum amount of dollars. I will donate whatever money I make to a 501© charity that deals with protecting / restoring coral reefs. (Open to suggestions.)

Am I being realistic? I haven't been paying much attention to the WAMAS site lately, I've been too busy coding to meet deadlines at work.

I am not an expert in the advice field but I admire the way you're going about it.  I'd advertise your entire setup here and get the word out for the next couple of months.  I'd like to think you can sell it all together for a reasonable discount to a new aquarist.  At least the WAMAS people will spread the word about what you have, which is half the battle.

However I think most people get into the hobby with a smaller tank and small budget, then let it grow over time.  If you have a larger tank full of stuff, I think it's more likely that your buyer will be an existing member or hobbyist who sees an opportunity to move up.  

I hope you get a good price and your donation goes toward making a difference in the world's dying reefs.

Seems like everyone getting out of hobby tries to sell all in one big sale but after having entire package sit on market too long eventually most have to sell piecemeal.Good luck

Fastest way to see movement is to farm it out. Your concept is noble but complete systems sell few and far in between. GLWS

A friend of mine down here in VA asked me a couple of weeks ago what he should buy if he was going to get a tank. His 2 kids want fish etc. He's a hard working fed working in an arena that keeps us all safe. I don't know if he'll go with fresh or saltwater, but this could be the type of deal that might be a good fit if you're not looking for a bunch of cash...I don't imagine he's looking to spend a lot.

going another route, you might see if the school tank program in WAMAS could use another tank. you might need to wait until after this weekend to get on their radar though....busy times

Thanks all for your replies!

If you have a larger tank full of stuff, I think it's more likely that your buyer will be an existing member or hobbyist who sees an opportunity to move up.  

Luckily it's a nano (Solana 34 gallon) with 1 fish, and 1 cleaner shrimp and a bunch of LPS. Fancy stuff like a Radion and Tunze ATO.

Seems like everyone getting out of hobby tries to sell all in one big sale but after having entire package sit on market too long eventually most have to sell piecemeal.Good luck

Yeah that's the fear. We'll see!

might be a good fit if you're not looking for a bunch of cash...I don't imagine he's looking to spend a lot.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm really not expecting much money at all. Probably less than I paid for just the Radion light ($400 not including the mount). I have no delusions of making 1/10 of what I put in.

I'm purposefully not looking at my receipts because I don't want to know.