1 year!!!

edress714

It's been 1 year now since I started in this hobby. I'll be honest I have thought about quitting. Had an anemone get sucked into the power head, heater go out and tank go to 70, and transferred from 55 to 75. But I held on and the tank is looking beautiful.

Until this day I have been running a fluval 406. Reef octopus bph1000 hob skimmer. Jbj ato with 5 gallon bucket of Rodi water.

My water parameters have been great. Been trying to do 15g water change every 2-3 weeks.

I used to clean the fluval every 3 months but it has now been 6 months without cleaning it. Should I just leave it as it is or is that going to do something to the tank later?

Same thing with the protein skimmer.

I still get brown algae on the front glass that I have two clean every other day. I do want to let you guys know I started using RODI water finally 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for all the help my first year. On to year 2!

Well I take that back. My parameters are not good.

Salinity 1.026

Calcium 360

Hardness 7dkh

Phosphate between 0.25-0.5

Nitrate 20

Nitrite and ammonia 0

Temp 79.9

Ph 8.0

Need to get my Phosphate down and calcium up.

Do I need a calcium doser?

You may be able to keep it up by doing 5 gallons every week instead of 15 gallons every 3 weeks. Also the fluval could why your nitrates and phosphates are up

I just got a bunch recenty. Waiting for 2 relatives tanks to be ready to transfer.

I have two candy cane colonies

2 brain corals. One is the size of a baseball

Ping pong sized montpora

Everytbing else is zoas palys frogspawn, huge Colony of hammerheads,mushrooms

For now I think you may be ok with equivalent weekly water changes like 5g a week instead of 15g 3 weeks this way you don't bump numbers up too quickly and it'll keep it more stable. Because waiting 3 weeks let's things use up more and then you shock then by raising it quickly

What salt are you using.

You could just use KALK in your ATO to keep up with the CAL demand. It normally drops since its used by the corals to help grow their skeletons.

You could also keep levels more stable by doing the weekly water changes. That way the levels don't drop off as much.

If u start using Red Sea coral pro salt u won't regret it..

what do you prefer about Red Sea coral pro salt/what do you see as its advantages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has everything in it u need for corals I haven't checked my calcium in months cus I don't need to with my setup and all my corals thrive even the anemone haven't had a problem using Red Sea salt

My tanks only 30 gallons and I never need to dose anything cus it's small but my brother has two tanks 1 is 150 and the other is 90 and they share the same

Sump so he has to dose but very little and also he had quadruple the corals I have.. rea sea may cost a few more bucks but u don't have to buy calcium and what not to add to the tank unless ur setup is big like my brothers..just my two cents

My tanks only 30 gallons and I never need to dose anything cus it's small but my brother has two tanks 1 is 150 and the other is 90 and they share the same

Sump so he has to dose but very little and also he had quadruple the corals I have.. rea sea may cost a few more bucks but u don't have to buy calcium and what not to add to the tank unless ur setup is big like my brothers..just my two cents

I find this is the case for my 28g also