How much livestock/coral/equipment is available for purchase at MACNA?

Rob A

Sorry if this is a dumb question...This is my first MACNA so I'm not sure what it's like. I hear about how people come from all over the country so I'm wondering how fast everything gets bought up.

I assume vendors are there to show off new stuff, but are they also bringing lots of stuff to sell? What about fish and coral? Are prices better than what you might find online or LFS? Just curious about what to expect, because I'm excited.

I'm really looking forward to the educational aspects of MACNA but would also like to come home with some cool stuff.  :laugh:

I hear ya! ...my first MACNA too. I generally have not found travel funds for these in the past, but maybe having a local experience will inspire me in future years to hit the road.

Following along

The main fish that will be there are mainly from the Aquaculture companies.  So there will be tons of clownfish, dottybacks, and cardinals.  There may be some crazy high end fish.  Last year there were 4 bandit angels, 8 gem tangs, and 2 clarion angels.

As for coral, there will be tons of coral.  As for the last 2 macnas, the only vender I know that sold completely out was Jason Fox and he sold out both times by Saturday evening. 

Usually there is not much in the way of gear.  You can make offers on show tanks and sometimes get a big deal, many vendors would rather sell the tank and leave it with you on sunday night then pack/repack ship.  Smaller display tanks for sure.

Always the game. Buy early, vendor price, no risk of loosing. Buy late, purchaser price, big risk of loosing. 

Some equip on the floor for sale, but a lot goes into raffle. Buy your tickets, get rewards.

so on sunday before the close there might be some deals to be had?  just trying to understand the mentality of this - haven't been to one before.

As said before in a lot of the posts, don't expect to find outrageously good deals, expect to find things that you wouldn't be able to normally. The difference with a lot of these vendors is you can cut out shipping charges, and cherry pick from everybody! What I saw a lot of is vendors usually don't have a problem holding onto your purchase, as long as they get your money first. A lot of people were buying, and then picking up on Sunday, or the evening before they went home. You would bring your purchase home the same way you would from one of our club meets, or a local hobbyists home, in a container, in a cooler, or whatever. Or what Doug said :P

If you see something you like on Friday, buy it, nobody is to say it will be there come Sunday evening. Vendors will cut certain deals at the end of the show, bagging up corals and tanks to go back home again is a PIA, but don't expect everything to go on sale. A lot of things I saw going home with local hobbyists last year were things like nano aquariums or smaller setups. I think Rods even gave their freezer away to a local store in CO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk