210 gallon water mixing station.

yauger

Well this project was fun, sad and then fun again the end product is legit and works well. I have reefer_madness (Ben) to thank for helping me build it.

It started with a 225 gallon storage behemoth container curtesy of Eric. Thanks buddy for the great deal! Unfortunately my wife didn't agree with my decision for the initial size of my mixing station and I had to press pause (sortof) on the project.

d65e83c29edaf95df05d698a01fb17a4.jpg

So as the days turned into a couple weeks with the monster in the garage I made some not so subtle purchases to further my project.

The wife was extremely happy!

29b681c8842ac93b495ef3337faa4243.jpg

Soo! Friday came along and some urban farmer dude from DC made my day by purchasing the behemoth and the project was a live in full swing!

During the week I researched various water stations and hose the features I liked the most and incorporated the features that would work best for me. I needed the ability to run fresh RO/DI water to fill my 45 gallon ATO tank and then I needed to be able to refill my take with salt water for weekly water changes.

This was the initial design:

00048ac6190590026fc3eb096992d7a5.jpg

Then I consulted with Ben and he made a killer recommendation of using a diverted valve for the top feed to either tanks. The valve itself is dope, completely reconfigurable.

ed112b6bacbeb62210d3676c7c7e3ce5.jpg

I can divert the flow going left or right with a easy swing of the handle. This way I can have the pump recirculating the water while I use the small 3/4" hose with a ball valve on it to push water to my system 55' away. I can close the valves and push either salt of RO depending on what I'm refilling. This will come in real handy when I'm recovering from my upcoming heart transplant. So my reef doesn't suffer when I'm not able to lift buckets. Win win!

not yet because I have an elecrtical shortage in my garage. I have my buddy coming out this week to install two 20 amp breakers for 4 new outlets in the garage. should be enough for all my shop tools, refridgerator, pumps, chargers and eventually a beverage fridge and deep freezer.

Aladdins Magic Lube. You have that on hand, Josh? There is a pun in there.

Double pun intended.

Looks like a sweet water mixing station. Is this all for your 40 gallon? How do you drain your water currently? Will the 3/4 hose be for pumping into the tank?

Where did you get the diverted valve? I may have to build one like that. Thank you for sharing.

Pool World and Spa in Woodbridge VA, any pool equipment store will have it.

Aladdins Magic Lube. You have that on hand, Josh? There is a pun in there.

Double pun intended.

Looks like a sweet water mixing station. Is this all for your 40 gallon? How do you drain your water currently? Will the 3/4 hose be for pumping into the tank?

lol yeah Ben lost it when I pulled the tube out to help us get the 1.5" pvc into the uniseal....

yeah a bit over kill for the 40 gallon but will come in handy when i'm recovering from transplant. yes, the 3/4" hose will be used to fill the tank and the auto top off tank with salt and fresh as needed. the drain is basically running out into the toilet. 

I didn't absorb much what I was seeing after I saw "heart transplant", WHAT?! :ohmy: That sounds pretty major!

Anyway, that is a sweet mixing station and looks like a great template for anyone else who wants to build one (like me).   :laugh:

I wish you well on your impending surgery!

Thanks guys, yeah been on the transplant list for 1.5 years now. Hopefully I get the call soon.

Yeah the mixing station is sweet, I've always wanted one.

I skipped right over the serious stuff and dived into the jokes, but you know I'm rooting for you man!

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you buy the smaller water containers from?

I got them from Richard at ERC, he was liquidating his extra equipment.

I did make some changes due to accessibility, I added a union between the Dart pump and the 1st Tee going up to the Diverted valve. I will also add a drain to the bottom feed line to the pump later to allow me to drain all water from the pipes to do maintenance on the pump when removed. 

• 3 months later...

After using the mixing station for the pat couple months I have made some adjustments that were from a lack of planning in design. I added a drainage valve, another true union ball valve and a union. Needed to do maintenance on the pump, to drain the pipes I had to add a drainage valve and union to enable me to remove the pump without water everywhere. Then I added another True union ball valve to increase the output valve to my tanks. I also installed a inline heater which worked great in mild low temps but as soon as the weather dipped below freezing the inline heater stopped being effective. So I'm back to the drawing board with the heater issue.

That's a nice setup and I can't wait to build my own (c'mon Santa bring me some tanks!)

How about this kinda thing for the winter:

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-Water-Heater-Insulation-Blanket/3133229

I know it defeats the purpose of being able to see the water levels but maybe you could leave a vertical opening, or make a sight glass with clear hose or something.