What size substrate to choose?

WishNewFish

Hi folks,

I am setting up my new reef tank and trying to pick a substrate which is not too light that it gets blown away but at same time accomodates goby and shrimp to burrow into the sand.

Does a 1mm to 1.7mm substrate accomodate goby and shrimps to burrow into the sand?

I am inclined to buy fiji pink .5mm to 1.5 mm, does anyone have experience with this if it gets blown away by mid grade power heads ?

I just used Tropic Eden Mesoflakes (new product line) that's right in between the size of the Miniflakes and the Reeflakes. I love it so far. Super clean look and stays in place.

• 11 months later...

Hi...new to WAMAS and the forum; upgrading from a 65g saltwater to 120g saltwater; acrylic (all in one) tank being built by Artfully Acrylic; I think I have crushed coral as substrate now but need to replace with new as this has been in place for 7 years; goby and shrimp have acclimated well to current substrate; thinking of CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand or CaribSea Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black Aquarium Gravel; have heard that sand is too fine and blows around easily; thoughts??

Any sand will blow around in your tank if you have a good amount of flow.  I used fine oolitic sand in my display and it blew around until it got coated in bacteria and then it didn't cause any issues.  I had to filter out the silt that initially wouldn't settle out of the water but even that was still present and didn't cause issues.  My sand got moved around constantly by snails and fish and once it had the bacterial film I loved it.