Seth's 150g DD SPS Dominated Reef

So finally found a good size tank for me and going to start the build thread up.  I have a pile of equipment and a sump to build but I am hoping to have the tank up and running a month before MACNA.

Specs: 

Marineland 150G DD tank with single corner overflow.  (24in x 48in x 30 in)

Life Reef Calcium reactor

2x 250w halides with 14k phoenix bulbs

2x 46.5 in UVL Super Actinic VHOs

1 48 in reefbrite actinic

2x 50w 460nm Blue led chips

3x RW-15's

2x RW-8's

Apex full unit

Bubble Magus Nac 6 with neck cleaner

40g breeder triton style refugium

Ecoplus 1200 or DC return pump not sure yet

still debating between fritz RPM, IO, or Tropic Marin

IMG_20150719_135603_zpsidkqsvvd.jpg

IMG_20150719_165824_zpsn5icrgoa.jpg

IMG_20150719_203410_zpsjoobi6t6.jpg

IMG_20150719_203421_zpsjkqa2rf0.jpg

IMG_20150719_203423_zps181nifvj.jpg

IMG_20150719_203426_zps8uu6xpfv.jpg

IMG_20150719_203431_zpsxqgnmqff.jpg

IMG_20150719_203433_zpsp4xai64w.jpg

IMG_20150719_203437_zpssyjl8mat.jpg

IMG_20150719_203443_zpsb5itktgv.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for a planned stock list:

For Sure:

6 queen anthias

1 majestic angel

1 south african midas blenny

2 dragonface pipefish

4 green gudgeons

4 blue gudgeons

Not sure yet:

Fowleri, Lt.Tang, or black tang

Wrases if I go  sandy bottom

Rhomboid 

Lineautise

Exquisite

Gold flanked fairy

Left to right...?

Drain/sock, skimmer, five, return? Doing a multibaffle bubble trap?

You're on the ball and rolling. May be taking a similar approach myself with a dig sump

thanks for posting up and sharing! what size tank is that now? the dd from marineland are all 36/37" wide and 27" tall and the 150 is 36" long not 48". so confused and I think the photo angles are playing tricks on me.

(edited)

thanks for posting up and sharing! what size tank is that now? the dd from marineland are all 36/37" wide and 27" tall and the 150 is 36" long not 48". so confused and I think the photo angles are playing tricks on me.

It is just a 4ft 150XH not a 150DD. No tricks just mislabeled. It is a Marineland/Perfecto tank. Rare to find these guys around.

http://aquariaguru.com/product/150-gallon-xhigh-glass-aquarium-black-trim-marineland/

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

Left to right...?

Drain/sock, skimmer, five, return? Doing a multibaffle bubble trap?

You're on the ball and rolling. May be taking a similar approach myself with a dig sump

Left to right is drain (I hate filter socks), refugium, skimmer, return.  It is the Triton methodology sump.  So relying on the macro algae as export over the skimmer.  

The sump is not done yet.  I just finished getting the last baffles in last night.  Pics in a sec.

its not a 150g cube  :p

It is just a 4ft 150XH not a 150DD. No tricks just mislabeled. It is a Marineland/Perfecto tank. Rare to find these guys around.

http://aquariaguru.com/product/150-gallon-xhigh-glass-aquarium-black-trim-marineland/

Yup just mislabeled. I often put DD for the smaller width tank but you are correct it is a 150g XH. 

Have you run the nac6 on this size tank before? I have a RO 150 (6") and 150 cube in the works...wasn't sure if/when I may need an 8" skimmer...didn't know if you had wrestled with the same dilemma or not. Keep it rolling... looking good!

Have you run the nac6 on this size tank before? I have a RO 150 (6") and 150 cube in the works...wasn't sure if/when I may need an 8" skimmer...didn't know if you had wrestled with the same dilemma or not. Keep it rolling... looking good!

I ran it on a 120g and it worked well so we will see. Worst case I will upgrade the pump and build a neck extension. The neck cleaner helps it keep working at 100%

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good

Looking good

I bet those reflectors look familiar. :P   I am going to be working today on getting the cables wired up on the reflectors and mounting the ballasts on top of the light rack.

Yes they do lol