Live Mysis

Pedro

Talk to theseahorseconcervacy. If you are looking for saltwater smaller version mysid shrimp then I'll try to catch some in my sump

I am looking for the salt water ones. I was full of them abd then moved up here abd they died off. My pod s are everywhere so I think they will do great now

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I saw three in my fuge the other day. Hopefully they keep coming back.

They will for sure Since there are no fish in there to eat them. My sump and frag tank were loaded with them (fishless) but couldn't locate a single one in display. I spot a lot of them hanging out in overflows and can see them in clear plastic overflow tubing. My sump now has a clownfish in it but doesn't eat all of them.

• 2 months later...

Check out Sachs Aquaculture here: http://www.aquaculturestore.com/Salt-Water-Invertebrates/   (small point, generally the salt water ones are referred to as mysid shrimp as on the website, freshwater as mysis shrimp)

They're good guys and have always sent good products.  I'm getting ready to place a large order of mysids myself.

Sam, what kind of volume do you buy in to support what kind of livestock? Curious what proportions are needed for straight up feeding versus population seeding. Cheers

I have only bought, and will be buying for raising cuttlefish, for 10 babies I'll buy around 500 a week. For a few weeks until they're on frozen.

For seeding a tank, less than 50 will be more than enough, you could start with less than 10 and be fine. With copepods, mysids, and other fast reproducing animals that we like in our tanks though, replenishing the existing stock is always helpful in order to bring in more genes. This isnt true for all, but for many of the animals, populations will weeken and die out from interbreeding so much. I've read of some species of copepods where this can happen in not years, but months. Mysids would be a much longer time, but still something to consider.

Could I do this in my 6 gallon nano? There are two clown fish. Would it be crazy, or possibly beneficial?

Cuttlefish set ups are ready, just waiting on eggs!  :laugh:

From my perspective, with your 6 gallon (I've been following the thread, love it!), I'm not so sure there are enough hiding spots and open space away from fish and stinging anemones for the mysids to survive and breed.  As far as beneficial... in that sense I think mysids are just like amphipods, they eat small stuff and they make great food for big stuff that can catch them.  Curious to hear what others think, but couldn't hurt to give it a try!

I would try it. They somehow find a way to live. Recently found they live in my display with lots of fish but I can only spot them when I am under the tank and look up under the rockwork in my bare bottom. They must know the fish can't reach them in certain spots under there.

I went to place an order just to get a new line in as you mentioned but the shipping charges shot it up a bit. Would you like to split shipping cost, I am out of Rockville, md.

Pedro, we are a ways from each other. It would be going in the work tank, so I'm not sure about meeting up, then coming back to work to drop everything off. PM me costs and I'll let that dictate my choice. Or if you still have my phone number, you're welcome to text. -Isaac

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk