Tinpanva's Reef Part Deux - 60 Cube Upgrade (Picture Heavy)

(edited)

Any updates?

lol, I always feel guilty if I post too many photos. I don't want to be the "photo bomb" guy. But the tank is doing just fine, hitting all the usual problems with a new tank. Bit of algae here and there, I few spots of cyano in the sandbad. More than likely from running biopellets. I lost the fairy wrasse a week or so ago, he jumped because the dottyback was being a tool. There was only the slightest crack around my screen but he got through it. Corals are doing really good, everything has great color. Even my forest fire digi has finally gotten some green showing up on it. Never got that when it was in the 29. I've always heard it was near impossible to get the green to show up under LEDs. I'm running them pretty high now, I'm sure that's the reason for it. The only thing(s) not doing well in the tank are my chalices. darn shame too, several cornbred and WWC ones in there withering away. I'm ever hopeful they will rebound. Other than that, pretty quiet. I'll get some new photos up soon, hoping for a new camera from Santa, but I haven't been that good this year. lol

Edited by Tinpanva

lol, I always feel guilty if I post too many photos. I don't want to be the "photo bomb" guy.

Please be that guy, that's how I feel.

What type of camera are you using. I want to get a good camera but I don't wanna spend 1,000 when I have this coral addiction I rather buy more corals lol. Please help me out what do you recommend. I wanna go a step up from the Cannon T2i I used to own.

What type of camera are you using. I want to get a good camera but I don't wanna spend 1,000 when I have this coral addiction I rather buy more corals lol. Please help me out what do you recommend. I wanna go a step up from the Cannon T2i I used to own.

I'm using a T3i right now. For shooting corals I use a 100mm 1:1 macro F2.8 For shooting FTS's and "through the glass" side shots I use a 24-105 F/4 L.

I'm hoping for a 5D MKIII for Xmas, but will likely just buy the 6D as I'm not sure I want to drop the extra grand on the 5D. If it were me I'd invest in good glass and worry about upgrading bodies down the road. That's what I've been doing. With the exception of a good wide angle EF-S lens, I'd just stick to buying EF lenses unless you know for sure you'll never upgrade to a full frame camera. I'm sure Nikon has something similar, but I'm a Canon guy through and through. I did own a Nikon back in the 80's during my "film" days, the glass is great, but I had issues with the camera eating flim when running the continous drive motor. Switched to Canon and never looked back.

Other than glass, buy a good tripod. Can't stress this enough, don't skimp on a tripod. Get the best you can afford. Get a white balance lens cap. The best is made by Expodisc (about 100 bucks) but the Promaster knockoff works just fine and will only cost you about 15 bucks. Also pick up a porthole for good topdown shots. Lastly, a remote release. Pretty inexpensive, but if all else fails, you can use the timer function so you don't have to touch the camera to shoot.

If you have other questions or if i've confused you even more, just ask. I tend to get really really excited talking about camera gear. Sometimes I have to let my inner nerd out to play.

• 1 month later...

Working on grabbing a few updates this week, but did get a few new shots of the fish. Most behaved well in front of the lens. On a separate note, I did finally do another water test last week, first one since last October, everything still the same except the Po4 is back where I want it at .03

24570657430_5e01de59f8_c.jpg

24570657480_94bf218cfd_c.jpg

24748223402_228567b82a_c.jpg

24772698191_4d01edbd48_c.jpg

24866115825_1d1b43bdb1_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, it's been awhile since my last update, and since it's been a rainy weekend I decided to pull out my gear. Tank is doing pretty good, still knocking out the last of the bryopsis and only have a small patch or two left. Picked up a one-spot foxface and he rather enjoys the stuff. Other than that I really haven't added much to the tank, been buying lenses instead. And you thought reefing was an expensive hobby.  :facepalm:

Photobomb.....

I shut the pumps off for a FTS, that's why the water looks low.

Tinpan%20Reef-9_zpscsqebhup.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-10_zpsgx5qpchk.jpg

A quick one of the nem that just keeps splitting..... *sigh*

Tinpan%20Reef-8_zpsqfsckbvh.jpg

And a few corals. Colors are great!

Tinpan%20Reef-6_zpsufgguwcw.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-11_zpscexbpdly.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-7_zpsilihg8xo.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-5_zpsowid47os.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-4_zpsbs18pttr.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-3_zpssueqwfjy.jpg

Tinpan%20Reef-2_zps20pa0cah.jpg

That's it for now, was fun shooting the tank again, it's been too long.

• 4 months later...

Well the reef is doing just fine, still really haven't bought much coral for it but the ones i do have are doing just fine. I did have a snafu a few weeks ago from me being lazy, the skimmer overflowed back into the sump, which caused the skimmer to overflow even more turning the sump into a giant foamy mess. Tank looked like crap for about a week. I ended up with a few burnt tips on some of the coral. I just ended up tearing down the sump, cleaning everything (it was due anyway) and doing about a 50% WC. I can't remember if I passed this along or now, but after fighting 2 years I'm happy to say I'm bryopsis free.

Got a few shots in today as well, didn't do a FTS as we have all the xmas stuff all over the place and the wife would have a melt down if I posted a pic of the mess.

Wrasse
60%20Gal%202016%207%20of%207_zpsdfr4istc

A key player in the bryopsis removal - One Spot Foxface
60%20Gal%202016%206%20of%207_zpsgcxm10pk

60%20Gal%202016%205%20of%207_zpsawpnvrqs

This guy has exploded with growth
60%20Gal%202016%204%20of%207_zpsl9mqwvyg

60%20Gal%202016%201%20of%207_zpsblamrdxg

Cornbred something or other
60%20Gal%202016%203%20of%207_zps7oamqyic

My Blue Berry Fantasy - Getting really big considering it started as a spec.
60%20Gal%202016%202%20of%207_zps4tvetzq5

Full resolution can be seen here

+1 on the FTS.  Also, I really want to see your sump setup after seeing the first few pictures in this thread.  Looks clean and I want to mirror my 60g sump setup after you.....and now it should be really clean :)

• 1 year later...

Time for my annual update, It was cold, i was bored, I took a few shots. Tank has been doing really well, just running on auto-pilot.

i-wD2dgpR-L.jpg

i-B5Xm5Zh-L.jpg

i-tjfm2JW-L.jpg

i-XGbQsTG-L.jpg

i-9Nksbs8-L.jpg

i-fZrk26h-L.jpg

i-zfPdkQX-L.jpg

i-qWpvNnT-L.jpg

i-kZfx87g-L.jpg

Feel free to folow along on instagram, I just started there (for the reef) but I'm going to try and keep it updated. @tinpansreef

Time for my annual update, It was cold, i was bored, I took a few shots. Tank has been doing really well, just running on auto-pilot.

i-wD2dgpR-L.jpg

i-B5Xm5Zh-L.jpg

i-tjfm2JW-L.jpg

i-XGbQsTG-L.jpg

i-9Nksbs8-L.jpg

i-fZrk26h-L.jpg

i-zfPdkQX-L.jpg

i-qWpvNnT-L.jpg

i-kZfx87g-L.jpg

Feel free to folow along on instagram, I just started there (for the reef) but I'm going to try and keep it updated. @tinpansreef

Looks good! Nice to have a tank on auto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy cow! This makes me want a tank so bad. 

Are you still running the AI Hydra 52's you started the tank with? Mind giving some details on light schedule and intensity? 

How about a screen shot?

i-7w7G8sD.jpg

• 1 month later...

Beautiful tank !!!! and your photo taking skills are phenomenal !

How are you using the expodisc for color correction .. do you also use a speedlight on your photographs...