Cell phone porthole

tom39

Avast is backordered on them, so I made one. It is not as clean looking but it definitely works.

I made it out of scrap acrylic, a dollar store cutting board, nylon screws and a 6" pvc coupler.

abf4abce5b7e83f558b20c952763a1f6.jpg

3676eb155b7f7e84282534a6819c4776.jpg

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

After dropping my Note 3 into a bucket of sludge a few months ago I'm a little terrified of holding my phone over my tank, lol. It fell out of my hoodie pocket-which has never happened any other time that I can remember. But this device is very cool. I would need a safety strap added.

Nice workmanship. How much time did you spend putting it together? Did you use a flush-trim bit to route the outer edges of the cutting board?

I built a couple of look-down ports a long while back using PVC couplers. I felt the only downside was the weight of the couplers. 

Thanks for the compliment. It took me about 3hrs total. But I was working on other things (hanging doors on a new stand for a Deep Blue 80g RR frag tank that I bought last month and that I will never use but that is another story) while I was waiting on the glue to set. Everything that I used was stuff that I had lying around in my garage and shop. If I added it all up, I would bet that I don't have more than $15 in it. So it was more of a lets have some fun and see if I can make it project.

As for the router bit, I just rough cut the top and bottom and used the flush cut bit to straighten it up.

You're right about the coupler, it does add a lot of weight so I only used half of one. Fortunately PVC floats so that was to my advantage. Once it was in the water it did better than I expected.

This afternoon I did added a bit of finishing touches and then gave it try. I think it works out fairly well for a DIY project. 

Avast is backordered on them, so I made one. It is not as clean looking but it definitely works.

I made it out of scrap acrylic, a dollar store cutting board, nylon screws and a 6" pvc coupler.

abf4abce5b7e83f558b20c952763a1f6.jpg

3676eb155b7f7e84282534a6819c4776.jpg

Good job!  We are redesigning the phone porthole to be an accessory for our camera porthole (which is also getting a redesign) and also make it work with point and shoot and mirrorless cameras etc so the phone porthole as it was designed is pretty much gone forever.  Love your implementation of it though!