MACNA 2015- Time to Sign Up and Volunteer!

DaveS

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filled it out twice, just need someone to tell me what's up :)

An update is on the way. We've been sorting data and matching needs to availability. Isaac should be posting something soon.

Hi Guys,

I have filled out the survey, asked for the whole time off work, and now just waiting for the confirmation of the tasks! Something about personal emails?

Thanks,

Jennifer Turner

IkanLaut77@gmail.com (Ikan Laut means Saltwater fish in Indonesian)

For those who are still filling out the survey, we have a particular need for people to help on Wednesday 9/2, Thursday 9/3 and Sunday 9/6.  Help on Friday and Saturday is still welcome but work seems to be getting in the way of fun for lots of people.  Remember, Monday is a holiday so don't be afraid to spend all day Sunday with us!

We also have a particular need for people to help with staffing the entrances to check badges and to assist with Sunday breakdown.  Also, a new role was added after the survey.  We need people to help with "Water Distribution".  This is basically a few people to help haul a big hose around on the exhibit floor Wednesday and Thursday to fill up display tanks.  Think fire fighter hose with salt water!  This role also includes helping to break down and dispose of about 12,000 gallons of salt water on Sunday.  We can't add this role as an option in the survey any more so if you are interested in helping with that, just type :Water Distribution" into the "Other" field.

Thanks all.  The volunteer schedule will be out shortly.

I filled out the survey for my wife to help too.

Yup, we got that and we thank you (she may not...). 

Significant others and older kids are welcome volunteers.  We generally try to assign the same shifts so that people can keep their schedules matched.

DaveS, Having given this a bit of thought, I think I should just be available to help at MACNA all day every day that your committee needs help.  For that matter, if you need another person on the committee doing legwork in the last month, please count me in on that, too.

Just let me know what to do.

DaveS, Having given this a bit of thought, I think I should just be available to help at MACNA all day every day that your committee needs help.  For that matter, if you need another person on the committee doing legwork in the last month, please count me in on that, too.

This is excellent news for us! I will be sending a PM over immediately.

Hah, Dave W, the MACNA executive committee was just talking about you earlier this week.  Be on the look out for a call from Doug...and say yes!

Here's the volunteer compensation / reward schedule again. If you can give a few hours to the MACNA project, please do so. We really need your help.

Get a T-shirt, get raffle tickets, get a free year of WAMAS membership, get reimbursed for a conference pass... just volunteer.

Take the volunteer survey.

gallery_2631296_685_35952.jpg

So if we volunteer to help all 3 days we still have to get tickets?

Yes. However, if you volunteer a certain number of hours you can potentially get a refund on your pass. See above.

Kevin, we'll put day pass wristbands on daily volunteers. If you volunteer for all three days, then you'll effectively have a three day pass and there's no need to buy one.

Sent from my phone

I had a question.  I posted in the Volunteer coordinator post but this may be the best place for it.  I went on the hotel's website and it states that it cost 41.00 per day to park at the hotel.  Are volunteers able to get a parking pass?  With being at the hotel for set up starting on Tuesday and coming back and forth every day is going to get expensive at that cost per day to park.  I may need to take the metro from Tuesday - Thursday.  I have a hotel room for Friday - Sunday but that's 246.00 in parking for the whole time I have to be there.

I had a question.  I posted in the Volunteer coordinator post but this may be the best place for it.  I went on the hotel's website and it states that it cost 41.00 per day to park at the hotel.  Are volunteers able to get a parking pass?  With being at the hotel for set up starting on Tuesday and coming back and forth every day is going to get expensive at that cost per day to park.  I may need to take the metro from Tuesday - Thursday.  I have a hotel room for Friday - Sunday but that's 246.00 in parking for the whole time I have to be there.

Currently there are no arrangement for volunteer parking passes. I think the safest bet is public transportation. I will update with a more concise answer when I have one.

I'll likely be parking at a metro along the red line and just taking the metro in. Glad someone posted how expensive parking is at the hotel because I missed it initially. I could buy a whole colony for the cost of parking for the conference, crazy....

Finally filed out the survey now that I know when I'm leaving

Got a once in a lifetime chance to race at road america in Wisconsin. .....that weekend.....

I'm available as much as I can be for president event set up...bags or whatever else can be done

Really not happy I'm missing this

via an email today from MACNA:

Parking

Attendees and exhibitors staying at the Marriott Wardman Park may receive a discounted daily self-parking rate of $30 (regularly $42). Be sure to let the Marriott registration clerk know that you are part of the conference and are using the reduced rate when you check into your room. The hotel has two parking garages. Height limitations are 5'10" for the Park Tower garage and 6'4" for the Woodly Garage.

For attendees not staying overnight: We've partnered with Parking Panda to allow you to pre-purchase guaranteed parking passes at several locations within easy walking distance to the hotel. Options include pre-paid parking at the hotel, too, for as little as $19/day. These passes are not valid for overnight stays, though!

Multi day https://www.parkingpanda.com/macna-dc-parking/packages

Edited by mrbee2828

I know it's an incredible amount of work to organize and put this on. Where is WAMAS with the volunteer schedule / list and do you ned help with it? I ask because we're just a few weeks away and I'm sure, like myself, people need to give notice to take off. Do we have an ETA for organizing the days prior at a minimum? I'm happy to help with volunteer scheduling.

I know it's an incredible amount of work to organize and put this on. Where is WAMAS with the volunteer schedule / list and do you ned help with it? I ask because we're just a few weeks away and I'm sure, like myself, people need to give notice to take off. Do we have an ETA for organizing the days prior at a minimum? I'm happy to help with volunteer scheduling.

Thanks for your follow up and continued interest.  The initial schedule was posted here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/74181-volunteer-coordinator-updates/

But it looks like that is currently in the member's only section.  We'll get that moved shortly.  In the meantime, could you check your email/spam?  There was also an email to all the volunteers with the schedule.

Thanks.

Thanks for your follow up and continued interest.  The initial schedule was posted here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/74181-volunteer-coordinator-updates/

But it looks like that is currently in the member's only section.  We'll get that moved shortly.  In the meantime, could you check your email/spam?  There was also an email to all the volunteers with the schedule.

Thanks.

Moved.

For others: I posted possible overnight alternatives to onsite parking on the MACNA website. If you're not staying overnight, then try one of the Metrorail alternatives along the Western side of the Red Line like Grosvenor, White Flint, Twinbrook, Rockville, or Shady Grove. Metro parking is very affordable (about $5/day). I have a Metrorail map here that also maps out the location of the hotel. Use the Woodley Park stop.