building another stand

treesprite

(edited)

Sometime over the summer I plan to build a stand for the 120 I got from Mike. This will be my 5th stand build, but only two have been cabinets. The things I hate most about building stands are: finding out a piece of wood is slightly the wrong size; worrying that the stand will be crooked;and the messy sanding/staining process which itself is more expensive and more difficult than the entire rest of the building.

Could someone give me some tips if there are any ways to make building the stand less of a chore while still turning out something that isn't an eye sore?

Posting a picture of my current stand, which I built inside of my old apartment. It's all 2x4s except for there are small panels of plywood on the ends,plywood doors, and plywood over the top of the stand.

post-1671-0-74445100-1432575769_thumb.jpgpost-1671-0-43621900-1432575784_thumb.jpg

I plan to avoid having any little circles from filled in screw holes on the outside of the stand. I am considering painting instead of staining, because I won't have to sand near as much and it won't take a week (waiting full days between coats and needing several of them). I am wondering if using s 2x6 wood make things easier or nicer. I am also wondering if I should make the stand a couple inches short, because the tank is 24 inches tall meaning I won't be able to reach the bottom of it with my hand.

Edited by treesprite

Don't make the stand too short, Most skimmers need some height to get them in and out

I don't keep my sump under the stand.

Not sure if you do but I thought that I would share my finishing methods.

When I am finishing a stand, I use sanding sealer to seal the grain of the wood before applying any finish. The purpose of the sealer is to keep the grain from lifting as much when you apply the finishing coats and lessens the amount of sanding. Use of sanding sealer would be applied before clear coats or paints, but if you want to stain the stand and then add a finish coat. I would stain the wood first, then apply the sanding sealer and finally apply the finish coat. IMO Application in that order makes a more even stain application.  

If you want to avoid seeing screw heads, use pocket screws and construction adhesive and if you have access to a compressor, try using narrow crown staples.

(edited)

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about sanding sealer at all.... I'm sure it will help a lot. 

Edited by treesprite

Are you building it inside in your apartment and do you have tools like a circular saw or clamps?

I have power tools. I will have the hardware store cut the wood into the right sizes initially and then can fix minor size discrepancies at home.

OK.  I was going to suggest an all-plywood stand with kreg screws (which are internal and leave no round screwholes on the outside) and glue for the joints. It can look really nice, give you more room inside, uses few pieces, goes together fast, and is super strong.  More strong than a 2x stand.  The catch is that the plywood should really be cut very square and to very exact measurements.  Probably better than most hardware stores are willing or able to do.