Noisy Overflow suggestions

Guest vt rules

Guest vt rules

I just got my 55 galolon tank up and running yesterday and am having a problem with the HOB overflow. The sound of the water splashing down to the chamber with the hose that runs to the sump is extremely noisy :unsure: . I have seen some pictures where there is some kind of foam filter sitting on top of the hose, I do not have one of these. Maybe that would help? If I lower the box to fill it with more water I don't think my mag 5 can keep up. Does anyone have any easy fixes to this issue?

Thanks!

Guest clownfish4

Definately go with a stand pipe, if you can't fit a durso, go with a stockman.

A durso on a HOB (hang on back) overflow.... not sure there is room.

Something may be wrong with your drain line... is there a kink, loop or even just a "dip" on the way to the sump?

The mag 5 will keep up... infact it can do no less. The water flow is defined by the water coming up the return as opposed to what is going down (within a reasinable limit)

If I understand your situation the noise is coming from the water splashing down into the chamber with the drain line bulkhead that drains water to the sump. So it sounds like you have (2) chambers on the external part of the overflow box. W/ this type the "U" siphon tube sits in the 1st chamber & the baffle divider insures that the "U" tube remains submerged & does not break siphon. The water then overflows (splashing sound) from this 1st chamber into the 2nd chamber where you're drain line bulkhead is located.

If this is your situation, try leaning a piece of plexiglass against the baffle at an angle. The falling water would then no longer be splashing & should quite down. Also, putting a plexiglass cover on top of the external overflow will help dampen any noise.

Guest vt rules

If I understand your situation the noise is coming from the water splashing down into the chamber with the drain line bulkhead that drains water to the sump. So it sounds like you have (2) chambers on the external part of the overflow box. W/ this type the "U" siphon tube sits in the 1st chamber & the baffle divider insures that the "U" tube remains submerged & does not break siphon. The water then overflows (splashing sound) from this 1st chamber into the 2nd chamber where you're drain line bulkhead is located.

If this is your situation, try leaning a piece of plexiglass against the baffle at an angle. The falling water would then no longer be splashing & should quite down. Also, putting a plexiglass cover on top of the external overflow will help dampen any noise.

That is exactly the situation. The plexiglass is a good idea that way it be more like a running down instead of a falling down. Will Home Depot cut plexiglass to specific measurements? If not, can I do it myself?

Thanks!