Formalin

Newfishgirl

Does anyone know where I can get Formalin locally from Richmond to Springfield? My orange shoulder has black ich. Tried to treat him for about 4-5 days with focus and Metroconizole in hopes he could just beat it on his own but no luck. So he had had a FW dip today and is chillin in a bucket until I can set up a QT tank for him today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Are you looking for the high concentration formalin? I don't think they make it anymore. Not sure though

Edited by gmerek2

Are you looking for the high concentration formalin? I don't think they make it anymore. Not sure though

No not a high concentration but something to help the tang combat the ich. I finally caught him and did a FW dip and now he is in a bucket till I set up the hospital tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

I don't know much about black ick. But I can say Do lots and lots of water changes or ammonia will get the fish since buckets and QT tanks usually aren't cycled and handle large bio load. Research read and read

Edited by gmerek2

(edited)

You probably won't find 37% formalin anywhere locally. You can try looking for Kordon Rid Ich Plus, which is 4.26% formalin plus malachite green. QuICK Cure is also formalin plus malachite green (not sure of the percent formalin). Seachem's Paraguard is supposed to be a safer substitute for formalin as well. You can find some good black ich info here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996184

Edited by cpu933k

any place carrying formalin-ms (contains 37% formaldehyde) like amazon would work in a pinch as it's pretty rare to come by locally. if you're interested in paraguard which I've had good success with (not with blach ich mind you) but as a formalin replacement, I'd be glad to provide a bottle for free to help your fish along. i would be 100% on your diagnosis before treatment with formalin. as others stated, it is quite aggressive treatment but tolerable by mosts. I would suggest a series of baths if you're insistent on using it. if doing in qt then a lower dosage should be used and be sure to keep water oxygenated very well.