CS1 Question

YHSublime

I bought a CS1 pegleg recirc used. Used it with pretty high water level and just the PSK-1000, but now I want to run it with the Maxijet 1200. The pegleg is sitting in about 8-9", but the maxijet puts the water at close to the top. Even fully open, when the PSK kicks in it flows over. Do I need to dial down the maxijet, or just get something smaller?

I used the maxi jet 1200 on mine without a problem. I would look for another cause

I used the maxi jet 1200 on mine without a problem. I would look for another cause

This is what I remember also. I had one prior to the CS3. I ran it in significantly lower water than what I'm in now though. I think a smaller MJ would solve the issue, vs. restricting the flow on what I have now.

I run mine at school with an MJ1200, but it goes through a biopellet reactor first and loses a bunch of flow, I assume.  

I had previously installed a Tee in the line going from biopellets to skimmer and stuck a valve in the "through" leg of the Tee and on the side output of the Tee so I could selectively divert flow away from the skimmer without throttling the biopellet flow, but ended up not needing it.

I run mine at school with an MJ1200, but it goes through a biopellet reactor first and loses a bunch of flow, I assume.

I had previously installed a Tee in the line going from biopellets to skimmer and stuck a valve in the "through" leg of the Tee and on the side output of the Tee so I could selectively divert flow away from the skimmer without throttling the biopellet flow, but ended up not needing it.

Thanks an idea. I might just see if I can swap it out for a 600 and call it a day. I'll see if Justin might chime in here before I go do something unnecessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan's idea is good. I would try that before buying another pump, but if you have a 400 or 600 that would be best. You can also gravity feed it from a siphon overflow with a tee and valve to divert some flow.

Alan's idea is good. I would try that before buying another pump, but if you have a 400 or 600 that would be best. You can also gravity feed it from a siphon overflow with a tee and valve to divert some flow.

Gracias.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a 600 in my pile of things I never thought I would use, and it's still too much. I expect my water level is just high in the sump. I need to get some filter socks in there and vac it out, and clear some of the rock and drop the water level, so hopefully then it will work.

I tried a trick Rob passed my way with just unscrewing the plate bolts to let it flow out the bottom, but it's become unpredictable, and sometimes is dialed in just right, and then other times falls down tight enough to overflow.

I have mine in around 10.5" of water and a mj400 to feed it. I have the gate valve wide open and it skims pretty wet. Doesn't overflow though. I wonder if these are influenced by water depth since the bottoms aren't sealed? Have you checked that the output pipe connection is snug to the bottom plate? I don't have the room to raise mine since it is still in my 40g's low stand. Can you try to raise it and let us know how it works for you?

I have mine in around 10.5" of water and a mj400 to feed it. I have the gate valve wide open and it skims pretty wet. Doesn't overflow though. I wonder if these are influenced by water depth since the bottoms aren't sealed? Have you checked that the output pipe connection is snug to the bottom plate? I don't have the room to raise mine since it is still in my 40g's low stand. Can you try to raise it and let us know how it works for you?

Still using the 600, unscrewed a couple of the bolts that hold it to the plate so the water flows out from the bottom. I dropped my water level, and sucess. It's not ideal, but now I know that was indeed the culprit. I bought the pegleg so i could save on space, and have higher water in my sump.

you can also play with the height of the drain standpipe.

How does it affect the water level? Raising it raises the water? Or inverted of that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you shorten it, the friction of the water moving thru that pipe will lessen, and will increase the max output flow rate. But you may get your hand wet adjusting the valve if it's below the water level. You can cut a few shorter sections of pipe to press fit into the bottom of the gate tee to experiment with.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've not tried playing with the standpipe yet, but I'm wondering, would it be a ridiculous notion if I were to see if there was some way to lengthen the pegs? That would fit funny with the pump underneath most likely, eh?

I lengthened the pegs on mine in order to try to prevent overflow at startup.  I'm not able to turn the feed pump off when it starts up because it is just tee'd off my return pump.  Lifting it out of the water didn't really help my situation, but it does make it easier to clean underneath it.  I didn't try putting the output valve at a different height relative to the base plate of the bubble chamber.  I think that would help out a lot, and it seems like it would add some tunability on the low end by not forcing the water level to rise on the inside of the cone up as high before it can get out. 

If you think about it, whatever height the output valve is at, that's the height the water will need to rise with the recirc pump off before any of it starts coming out the valve, just because of gravity.  If you put the output valve lower (which means you might need to get longer peg-legs as well in order to keep it from being submerged) it should let you have a lower "base" water level which will give the valve more control over setting that water level higher even before the foam starts.

If you think about it, whatever height the output valve is at, that's the height the water will need to rise with the recirc pump off before any of it starts coming out the valve, just because of gravity. If you put the output valve lower (which means you might need to get longer peg-legs as well in order to keep it from being submerged) it should let you have a lower "base" water level which will give the valve more control over setting that water level higher even before the foam starts.

This logic is sound, and understood, thanks for explaining it to me! Guess I'll try and play tonight. I figured because it's recirc, the water level shouldn't matter.

The water level externally has almost no impact on the internal level.  What does have an impact is how fast you are feeding water through the skimmer.  If you try and feed more, the water rises.  Different pumps, pump ages, cleanliness of pump will all have an impact on internal water level although once you have a consistent setup, the skimmer will operate pretty consistently as well.  If your skimmer is plumbed via a manifold attachment or gravity feed startup is going to have an impact on the internal water level.  Added nutrients to the system is also going to have an impact on foam level, some foods are worse than others.  By lowering the standpipe section below the gate valve you lower the the lowest point the skimmer can be set at internally.  This means that you can run more water at a faster feed rate through the skimmer and not overflow.  Most people feed the skimmer too much water, I have posted Escobal's turnover calculations for skimmers many times here so a search should pull up the formula if your interested in what is "optimal".

although once you have a consistent setup, the skimmer will operate pretty consistently as well.

I found that with my CS3, once I got the sweet spot, it was no worries... ever.

The water level externally has almost no impact on the internal level.  What does have an impact is how fast you are feeding water through the skimmer.

A MaxiJet 600 should be just fine for this application. I have had close to identical setups with the peglegs, and the MJ12000 was great.

The water level externally has almost no impact on the internal level.  What does have an impact is how fast you are feeding water through the skimmer.  If you try and feed more, the water rises.  Different pumps, pump ages, cleanliness of pump will all have an impact on internal water level

I have consistent skimming right now, and it's been good for a week. I'm honestly starting to believe that the PO did such a great job cleaning it, it was still going through a break in process!

Most people feed the skimmer too much water, I have posted Escobal's turnover calculations for skimmers many times here so a search should pull up the formula if your interested in what is "optimal".

I remember reading something about this when I was getting started. I am probably more interested in it now than I was then, I will take a look! Thanks!