Cleaning used equipment

dmatt56

How do you clean / sterilize equipment between tanks? For example, say I want to buy a used sump, skimmer, or powerhead. How do I clean it well enough to ensure there isn't any residual fish disease or treatment in the plastic from the previous owner?

Does vinegar and water do the trick? Bleach terrifies me!

Thanks

Matt

Edited by dmatt56

I would do 100% vinegar.  It will do a good job of cleaning the calcium off too.  Or, you could do a 1oz shot of muratic acid per gallon of water.  According to a prior thread here, that's about 20x more acidic than pure vinegar.

VInegar/H2O2 mix with H2O and a heater dialed to the max. BTW a form of circulation of said H2O. 

Economic comparison...

Muratic acid- 1 gallon $7 at Lowes.  1 oz (1/128th of a gallon) makes 1 gallon of solution that is 20x stronger/faster than vinegar

Heinz White Vinegar- 1 gallon $15-$20 at Costco

Yes muratic acid is more dangerous and should be handled with care.  I wear the same gloves and protective eyewear with the acid as when I'm handling zoa and palys.

Economic comparison...

Muratic acid- 1 gallon $7 at Lowes.  1 oz (1/128th of a gallon) makes 1 gallon of solution that is 20x stronger/faster than vinegar

Yes muratic acid is more dangerous and should be handled with care.  I wear the same gloves and protective eyewear with the acid as when I'm handling zoa and palys.

Sorry Dave but costco charges $3.00 for 1.32 gallons Heinz white vinegar i buy it all the time for tank and general cleaning. Its the best bargain ever.

Typo? never paid that much for a 1.32 gallons bottle.

Sorry Dave but costco charges $3.00 for 1.32 gallons Heinz white vinegar i buy it all the time for tank and general cleaning. Its the best bargain ever.

Hah ok I guess I was looking at the wrong line on my receipt.  Must have been the 30 roll pack of toilet paper or something...