Rimless rule of thumb?

YHSublime

What's the rule of thumb when putting a rimless tank on a stand. Foam? No foam? If foam, what kind? Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

depends on if the bottom of it is also "frameless" from what I've ever heard.  If it has a normal plastic frame like a standard rimmed tank, then you would treat it as a standard one.

I have a glass rimless IM 16g Nano that came with a flat bottom stand that is acrylic.....So I would think they would want even support. Not sure I would use any foam, only a solid surface IMO.

Does the company sell stands? probably best to get in touch with the company.

depends on if the bottom of it is also "frameless" from what I've ever heard. If it has a normal plastic frame like a standard rimmed tank, then you would treat it as a standard one.

So if there is a rim, no foam, no rim, foam? How much foam, what kind? I'm all about foam these days.

I've readthat if it has a frame underneath you use no foam but if it doesn't have a frame, then some thin rigid foam can help to avoid continuous stress on the glass from barely visible high spots on the stand which would normally be spread out by the bottom frame. 

However, ensuring that you have a very flat and level hard stand is probably best, as DuffyGeos says above.

I've got a dense foam under mine and it has a frame.  I've read all the posts about it and don't really see the issue.  For it to stress the bottom, it would have to depress the foam far enough that the foam hits the bottom of the tank.  Its not even close.  I think the foam helps with my DIY stands that aren't perfectly even to support he frame a little better.

So, I tend to use a little foam regardless..  

I've got a dense foam under mine and it has a frame.  I've read all the posts about it and don't really see the issue.  For it to stress the bottom, it would have to depress the foam far enough that the foam hits the bottom of the tank.  Its not even close.  I think the foam helps with my DIY stands that aren't perfectly even to support he frame a little better.

So, I tend to use a little foam regardless..  

I would think it depends on the size of the tank, the load, and the type of "foam" If you use those colorful interlocking play tiles I would think they would sink a fair bit with the load of a larger tank, and then the load is on the bottom of the glass which would not be ideal.

The foam I have is an insulation foam from home depot about a half inch thick.  I forget if it is blue or pink or whether that even tells you anything about the density of the foam.  On my 75, it can't have depressed more than a mm or two.  If you take the tank off, there is a slight impression so its doing something but not much.

Edited by hypertech

Level is always best, and I intend to make sure that happens, but, I want to make sure I setup right when I do, can't afford any cracking or stressing!

I ran my 66 gallon ADA with no foam just a level stand and it had no problems. I agree with everyone else as long as the stand is sturdy and level you should be fine...also the foam depending on what kind can be an eye soar unless you countersink the top of the stand.

My rimless tank came with a thin foam. I don't know the technical name for it but it looks like a really thin yoga mat. Maybe 1/4 in if that. So since that's what it came with that's what I used.

The sump that is also rimless came with about an inch of regular styrofoam glued to it.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll settle on leveled, and a yoga mat!

Chris at PicO recommends yoga mats...

Edit: he told me to us kitchen drawer liner.

Edited by seanoli

Chris at PicO recommends yoga mats...

Edit: he told me to us kitchen drawer liner.

Cool, I think they are probably one in the same. The yoga mats are probably a little bit thicker, and for some reason, I seem to like that idea more. No rhyme or reason there. Last thing I want is coming home to 100 gallons of water on the floor, so trying to plan everything so I can have it when I start setting up. 

Cool, I think they are probably one in the same. The yoga mats are probably a little bit thicker, and for some reason, I seem to like that idea more. No rhyme or reason there. Last thing I want is coming home to 100 gallons of water on the floor, so trying to plan everything so I can have it when I start setting up. 

Probably a good idea. My tank is only 20.

I'm running my tank without. I have the stand way overly built and it's been up two years and have not seen any negative impacts. The top piece of plywood is 3/4".

I'm running my tank without. I have the stand way overly built and it's been up two years and have not seen any negative impacts. The top piece of plywood is 3/4".

Do you think there would be any negative impacts of running foam underneath if you had done it? Thanks for chiming in btw. 

I don't think so. On my service tanks I'm running foam but for some reason on mine I didnt. I spoke with other people when I did mine who were running without so that's what I did. For the clients to keep within the warranty they say foam so I did.

Just hoping I'm not going to run into any problems with my tank since I didn't do any foam. Cause I'm way past that now

Edited by epleeds

This is what Coast to coast told me to do for the tank I just got from them.

We advise using 3/4" plywood {but it doesn't necessarily need to be marine-grade} and then a sheet of 1/2" Homasote 440 on top of the plywood. Be sure to countersink any screws that are used to ensure they never come into contact with the bottom of the aquarium. You can also use the foam insulation board if you like but it should be the 1/2" thick variety...we just prefer using Homasote.

Huh. I wonder why the Homasote. Thanks for that, it's good information! 

FYI yoga mats do come in two thicknesses. I choose the thinner of the two under my nano.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk