Moving tank ideas.

nextlevel808

Ok I'm running into a problem. I'm in the process of stepping my tank up. I have a 55g set up now and trying to get the 120g I have now in the same place as 55g. What are my best options for the change over? Please help in giving me options on the best way to go about this without causing to much stress on my fish.

Drain all the water into a Rubbermaid stock tank with a heater and power head. Then just switch the tanks out try to get as much work done as possible to make the move quick. I just did this 2 weeks ago and already had my plumbing done so it went quick. Everything made the transfer with no problems at all.

Did you have any problems with your fish? I know someone else just did same thing and lost few fish already and others have white spots on them. That's only main concern I really have is my fish as I have an attachment to them more then my coral. Next concern would be the amount of water being added. The new setup is a 120g with a 55g sump my old setup is 55g with prob 10-15g sump so would act as more then 50% water change.

Drain all the water into a Rubbermaid stock tank with a heater and power head. Then just switch the tanks out try to get as much work done as possible to make the move quick. I just did this 2 weeks ago and already had my plumbing done so it went quick. Everything made the transfer with no problems at all.

Agreed , In addition water movement is important, but most people forget about aerification and skimming of the water column . Most fish lost is do to low oxygen and high dissolved organics  cause by the process of the tank move. This will buy you time and save you lots of stress.

No my fish were fine I wouldn't worry to much you will be done in no time. As far as the water I wouldn't worry to much I went from about 80 total gallons to about 140 with all sps. I had a little browning out I'm sure due to the change but nothing major. Most of the worry would be if you were using all new rock then you would have a pretty big cycle. If your using a lot of old water and some old rock it should just be like a big water change. As far as people loosing fish and the white spots and all my guess would be there was already a parasite in the tank and the stress caused a flare up.

I've heard many stories about sand getting stirred up during a move and causing an ammonia or nitrate spike. I would rinse the sand with tank water or pre-cycle new sand

No my fish were fine I wouldn't worry to much you will be done in no time. As far as the water I wouldn't worry to much I went from about 80 total gallons to about 140 with all sps. I had a little browning out I'm sure due to the change but nothing major. Most of the worry would be if you were using all new rock then you would have a pretty big cycle. If your using a lot of old water and some old rock it should just be like a big water change. As far as people loosing fish and the white spots and all my guess would be there was already a parasite in the tank and the stress caused a flare up.

This is how I feel. Good advice IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk