In need of serious advice

squiddly

There comes a time in every hobbyist's life, that you just want to throw in the towel and walk away.  Today, friends, is my day.  I basically have a choice between dumping the tank and getting out, or finding a solution to the constant overflows, ceiling drywall damage, etc.  I no longer trust that anything I do is going to prevent these random acts of stupid, so I would be looking for an almost foolproof solution.  

Back story - I have a 24 gallon aquapod, FOWLR system.  I have an RO/DI system that drips into a container from which I top off manually (since husband promised to fix the auto top off and never has).  The hose popped out of the bucket last night, and about 5 gallons of fresh water knocked down still more drywall from the ceiling that hasn't been repaired for perhaps 5 years from a previous flood when I got rid of my 225 gallon system.  It's pretty clear that if I'm going to do anything to continue in the hobby, it's going to be completely on my own.  

So, if I stay, I will need to figure out a new, preferably all in one system with very little possibility of failure.  This means no more jury rigged "solutions" (the aquapod is in an inch deep tray, there was an overflow alarm that didn't work, etc. etc.).  If I go, I'll need to find homes for 3 fish, some random snails, etc.  

What do y'all think?  I'm having a very bad day at this point....

Sorry for your bad day!

I think having an auto top off like avast and a clamp for the line into the tank that can't get bumped is a definite no matter what size tank... From a reservoir underneath...

With that said... I think the tank you have or a bit bigger and have a place underneath in the cabinet for the ato reservoir that you could set in a drip pan, either a 5 g bucket or acrylic box...

I'm the first one to have issues and other than the crazy odd days, it sounds like this tank works for you

Hi smallreef.  Thanks for your advice.  I've got a reservoir under the stand, and a drip pan, and moisture alarms, none of which worked properly.  Is the avast auto top off the most bullet proof?  I'm also looking for serious moisture sensors that will maybe call a cell if they sense anything.  Do such things exist?  Thanks!!

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time of it. I'm going to make a few general comments that you might want to consider as you approach this hobby moving forward.

• Always consider Murphy's Law. Now, we cannot realistically account for every failure mode. If a faulty tank fails, we're pretty much screwed. But aside from that, always consider the potential failure modes for a setup and account for them to mitigate damage. Make pessimistic assessments. If the likelihood of failure is too high and the potential damage too great, it might be best to find another place for the tank.
  • If you don't have a reliable partner in this endeavor, be self reliant. Fix the ATO yourself, etc.
  • Get your house fixed. You don't need the reminder of that disaster. I know I'm sounding preachy at this point, but I have some personal experience in this regard.

I appreciate that, Braden.  I've drawn the line in the sand.  He wanted to do the drywall repairs himself, but if they aren't done in the next two weeks, I'm hiring someone.  I just ordered the tunze nano 3152 ATO and will install myself.  If it gets weird, I'll pop up in here and ask.  Looked at Red Sea all in one systems, and WOW!  Unfortunately, out of range for now.  Apparently we DO have sensors that email and text alerts, but the last update stopped them from working and husband didn't tell me so I could try to configure myself.  I'll be working on that this afternoon.  I got a file fish for the mahanos, I'll order one of those wand zapper things and take care of that part.  Then maybe I'll get some sleep.  

The tunze is a good one for the aio's because it is more sensitive...

I LOVE the Red Sea max AIO's :) but yeah$$$$

I think your fail safes sound right, they do just need to be updated and checked monthly...

That's pretty much the only reason I have an apex,lol water leakage, heater breakage, or power outage :)

Just don't get discouraged... We all have bad days.. I just made 10 gallons of water on the floor of my spare bathroom, thankfully it's in the basement (as is my tank)

If it's a fowler and you home every day u could just do a manual top off. The fish can handle small salinity swings much better then coral.

One less thing you need to worry about

(edited)

Unfortunately, the manual top off caused the flood.  The leak alarm didn't trigger.  The ATO will arrive tomorrow.  I looked for a more reliable leak alarm that would alert us via phone, and found the "Wally Home System" that would do the trick and solve other problems as well since it comes with 6 sensors.  Last month, we had a pinhole leak in a copper pipe that flooded the finished basement (carpet, drywall, all that stuff) so I'm really at my wits end when it comes to yet more flooding.  I was about to pull the trigger when husband reminded me we already have frontpoint for our general alarm stuff, and lo and behold, they also have water sensors.  I think I'm feeling better.  I'll let you know after the ceiling stops falling down.  

I know y'all have had this crap happen before, and I don't mean to be whiney, it's just been a crazy couple of months around the Squiddly house and sometimes just that one extra stressor is enough to make you reconsider many things at once.  As they say, doo doo happens :-)

Re: home every day - that's another fun thing.  I'm at a client site 3 days a week, 90 minute drive each way.  By the time I walk back in the door, I'm pretty much brain dead from completely crazy drivers who should not be on the road.  Of course, that's fodder for several refugium postings :-)

Edited by squiddly

31622e8fb23e3db659f4a0d5b1c727b9.jpg

I know where my flood river flows now but luckily tank is now in basement. I know the feeling hang in there if you enjoy the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the ups and downs i think its best sometimes to just clean the mess and give it a week or so before you make any quick decisions. I know ive had more than one moment if my wife wasnt there i would have shut it down and most likely never looked back

The hobby can get pretty frustrating once in a while.  Whenever I lost a tank full of fish it depressed me to the point that I completely got out of the hobby for a few years, but I always came back.  

With a small FOWLR system I think you're already going at it in the way that is lowest maintenance.  You just need a little less bad luck for a year.

In my old apartment I couldn't see the wall fully until I moved the tank. It was a disaster back there with the wall and baseboards badly damaged. So in this apartment, the wall is covered in plastic, and the tank is placed away from the wall kind of like a room divider.