Glass Tank Restoration

swizz

I have a 40 gallon tank which I bought used and I didn't realize that there are some phale white marks on the front glass till i brought it home. It's not a scratch it just looks like there is something dripped on the inside of the tank and discolored the glass. I tried so many different ways to clean it but I had no luck So I thought to reach out to WAMAS.

Does anyone here know how to restore tanks? and can do this for me? I am in MD but I don't mind making a drive to drop the tank off and stuff. I was going to add pictures but it's kind of hard to see on a picture.

You will get differing opinions, but one option would be to get a new tank.  PETCO has $1/gal sale going now I think so for $40 you could get a brand new tank.  By the time you buy some products to attempt a fix on your current tank and pay for gas to drive it somewhere and pick it up, you will quickly pass $40 in costs imo. 

You could use the current tank to QT fish, or mix water, or as a sump, or something else where it doesn't have to be pretty.

I was doing some research and found that polishing with jeweler's rouge might help. But that just seems like risky business. I don't want to make it worst then it is. Let's see if anyone has some clever ideas on WAMAS. If not I'll just have to live with it :(

Cerium oxide and a buffing wheel, or a lot of elbow grease.

Try putting water in the tank first and seeing if you can see the deposits. What you're describing sounds like micro deposits that are visible when the tank is empty and dry.

You may have already tried this, but if not wet it and spend some time on it with a razor blade. I had a similar spot i could have sworn something had etched into the glass, but after going over it hard with a razor it came off. 

Cerium oxide and a buffing wheel, or a lot of elbow grease.

Try putting water in the tank first and seeing if you can see the deposits. What you're describing sounds like micro deposits that are visible when the tank is empty and dry.

Is there a place you can by 'elbow grease'? I'm running low on it. I had a lot of it years ago!! Haha.

(edited)

Water is in the tank and it is still very visible and annoying to look at.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm just going to let it be for now though

Edited by swizz