HELP! ATI Ballast Replacement

BowieReefer84

Two bulbs were working so I replaced the ballast that had two bulbs not working.  When I fired it all back up two still worked, and the other two tried for 1 second to turn on but didn't.  Unplugging and plugging back has resulted in none of the bulbs coming on.  However, now something fishy happened b/c when I plugged it in the TV in the room turned off.  Something is clearly not setup right...

Everything is now unplugged for the night.  Anyone want to come help me for beer/frag/money...

SIGH.

Thanks,

Mike

Are you able to post pics of all the electrical connections for someone who has a lot more electrical experience then myself?

Sounds like a bad ground some where in the unit. Is this a SunPower unit.

mike, before any of this did you test to see if the two bulbs were simply bad or one was which would make both not light? how did you hook up your ATI to your TV- what am I misunderstanding? test the bulbs first, then check wiring of potential bad ballast, then check sockets and surrounding are for corrosion, then ballast. you'll find the problem soon enough.

Did you trip the breaker or was the tv in line with a gfci? Open the fixture back up and check the wire for any exposed copper may have just nicked a wire. Also when you changed the ballast did you get the same one or a different ballast? If it's different you would have to look at the schematic to make sure it's wires correctly some ballasts are different depending on what you changed it out with.

Did you trip the breaker or was the tv in line with a gfci? Open the fixture back up and check the wire for any exposed copper may have just nicked a wire. Also when you changed the ballast did you get the same one or a different ballast? If it's different you would have to look at the schematic to make sure it's wires correctly some ballasts are different depending on what you changed it out with.

The TV is in the same room, but a different outlet.  Something must be tied together b/t the two outlets, but I don't know what.  I don't think it was a gfci.  I was able to turn the tv back on without issue or having to do anything special.  I swapped ballasts for the exact same one.

Now I am wondering if one of the bulbs is out like Marco mentioned, but I really have no way of knowing.

If anyone is local to 21075 and knowledgeable I would love some help.  I can even come to you with the light and the 4 bulbs I have.

Sounds like a bad ground some where in the unit. Is this a SunPower unit.

How do I know if it's a ground issue?  There seems to be one ground cable from the powercord that was connected to one of the ballasts via the torx bolt.

I had everything working outside the housing, then once back together NOTHING.  Flickered once then womp womp womp nothing...

16828405719_4c126bce90_c.jpg20150401_204116 by mteske1, on Flickr

16828405729_54239653a3_c.jpg20150401_204104 by mteske1, on Flickr

THEN NOTHING...

17013738951_cc92a08151_c.jpg20150401_212909 by mteske1, on Flickr

i really wish you were closer to me id love to help.

If the sockets are in the proper spots there has to be a pinched wire grounding out or a loose connection somewhere.

Thanks for the tips.  I will be messing with it more tomorrow.  Took the night off...  I will try the bulbs flipped around.  If that doesn't work I will tear it down and double check the wire and sockets.

Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.