battle with green hair algae

turbo2oh

My 60g cube is about 6 months old and green hair algae is trying to take over my tank. I only have 2 clowns and a midas blenny so its not overstocked. I feed somewhat sparingly though it might have been slightly overfed during my vacation about a month and a half ago. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

1) upgraded skimmer (about a week ago)

2) started a fuge with macroalgae (almost 3 weeks ago)

3) started running about 8 tbsp of standard GFO from BRS (yesterday)

4) kept up with weekly or bi-weekly water changes while trimming back GHA with scissors and trying to scoop it out

5) cut back on feeding

6) bought a standard hanna phosphate checker (reads 0 but I assume its all being consumed)

The only other thing I was considering was adding some clean-up crew to help or a fish that might eat some. Right now my clean up crew is about a dozen cerith snails and a few nassarius snails that don't seem to do anything. The macro and green hair algae both seem to be growing strong but I'll see if the GFO starts helping soon hopefully.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by turbo2oh

I couldn't get anything to eat what I had. I think an emerald crab was picking at it. But what ultimately worked for me was in your list. It takes a couple months

In my experience, Mexican (vice zebra) turbos will eat GHA, although the speed/amount varies by individual snail (i.e. it seems that some like it a lot more than others).

Thanks guys. Gonna try to pick up some hermits and turbos. Figure it can't hurt. Water is rodi and 0 coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrub it all by hand, then add gfo. HA will outcompete the macroalgae unless it has been depleted by harvesting it and the addition of GFO.

+1

A lot of nutrients are locked up in the algae. It's basically cleaning your water for you. If your tank is overrun with it, manually harvest it and throw it out. You'll get ahead faster.

Sent from my phone

I went ahead and clipped out what I could last night and pulled some out of the sandbed. I'm gonna pickup a tooth brush to try to really get more off than I can with the scissors.

I went ahead and clipped out what I could last night and pulled some out of the sandbed. I'm gonna pickup a tooth brush to try to really get more off than I can with the scissors.

If you have a filter sock on your drain output it will catch a lot of the stuff after you scrub with a toothbrush and it all gets carried down the overflow.

Blue leg hermits, astrea snails, turbo snails, maybe pencil urchin, plus waiting it out.

I should upload the pic of my pencil urchin with green hair algae on it. They definitely don't care for the stuff. I think it is mexican red leg hermits, blue leg hermits, and big turbos that help the most.

Funny thing about GHA- start a tank with whatever type of rock you prefer, let it run animal free for 4-6 weeks and diatoms, cyano, and GHA make their presence known. GHA soon covers the rocks and grows long fern-like growths that float in the nearly still water. Introduce a single filamentous algae-eating fish and your GHA problem disappears.

Start a tank the conventional-  can't wait for it to cycle method and GHA becomes a constant problem.

Rob, where is your old "pour in salt and stir" post from like five years ago? I remember reading it when I was starting out.

I love hair algae threads.  :rolleyes:

about a dozen cerith snails and a few nassarius snails that don't seem to do anything.

some red and blue legged hermits.

Mexican (vice zebra) turbos will eat GHA.

Blue leg hermits, astrea snails, turbo snails, maybe pencil urchin.

pick up some hermits and turbos.

pencil urchin with green hair algae on it

Algae Fix works well for GHA. Use half the dose 2x and watch it go away. IME pretty much nothing will eat it. GFO is important get a GFO reactor and replace the media monthly. Water changes as well.