Richie's 240Gallon Man Cave build :)

UPDATE -- 

Added the 30lbs Miracle Mud to the fuge area with no issues.. The trays that i had made worked out perfectly. I added three pieces of Chaeto as well. 

Hooked up the EcoTech Reeflink to the MP60s as well as the battery backup to one of the pumps.

Salinity is at 1.025 Temp is holding at 77... Been playing with the APEX trying to get to know it better.. Other than that is waiting time..... ..... zzz zzzz 

:)

Have a good weekend everyone.

Richie

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that there were no leaks. I'm always concerned about that when these tanks I plumb are started up. If any develop, please feel free to contact me and I'll come out and fix it.

Thanks Rob.. So far so good.. I keep triple checking everything.

I got the ATO set up today and triple checked it. Liking the way everything is up and running now.

Watching the tank cycle now.. :unsure:

UPDATE ---

First I would like to thank the WAMAS community for their concern with my leaking sump. For those that missed the Emergency Post in general, Just before I was scheduled to leave town last Sunday I noticed a small leak in the lower right rear corner. We went into panic mode since my flight out was at 8am. We drained liquid welded, filled, drained filled, and the water kept leaking.

My time on the west coast was spent trying to talk my wife ( THANK YOU ) through a series of taking apart trying things and putting back together. No success. I took the red eye home this morning and after a short nap starting taking things apart. Adam from Artfully Acrylics stopped by for a house call and we talked through numerous issues. We used some WaterWeld to temporary patch the leaking area.

I am talking to the manufacture of the sump..... with my not so happy hat on.

As of right now. Water is flowing again. Temps and salinity are being adjusted.. AND the CAPS on are on TV.. So Im out......

THANKS AGAIN everyone for their concern and HELP..

Richie/Penny

You drilled some holes in the sump baffles, if I remember correctly, hope that doesn't void any warranties on that bad boy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told to do it by Primo... I specifically mentioned that during the calls I had with him. I think I will be good to go...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE --- Tank still cycling.

I havent put the lights on the main tank yet. Only in the fuge. Chaeto is growing. I have seen pods on the glass in the fuge.. I added a few micro stars to the main tank and fuge area (Thanks John). 

I have been slowly ghost feeding the tank a few flakes. 

Other than that.. all is stable.. :)

Thanks..

Richie

Wife didn't like me taking up the bathroom in the basement.... BUT oh well. I think I took over the shower part..:)

Now you see it ...... now you don't.....

:)

post-2634883-0-18121900-1431885544_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-64275800-1431885546_thumb.jpg

Your welcome!

I look forward to heading out your way once you get some life in there :)

UPDATE --- Tank still cycling.

I havent put the lights on the main tank yet. Only in the fuge. Chaeto is growing. I have seen pods on the glass in the fuge.. I added a few micro stars to the main tank and fuge area (Thanks John).

I have been slowly ghost feeding the tank a few flakes.

Other than that.. all is stable.. :)

Thanks..

Richie

OH MAN!!! getting closer to animals...... I had some time to kill so I hooked up the Radions tonight.. I will take some additional pictures when I get everything working properly.

post-2634883-0-35724600-1432084889_thumb.jpg

(edited)

---UPDATE---

Hey Everyone, Just thought I would drop a note on some of the progress. It's very slow going. Water has been cycling in the tank for the past 6 weeks. I have some good chaeto growing with Miracle mud in the sump. I see copepods all over the sump and main display tank. I have started the lights on a 2 1/2 hour per day cycle. The Radions look amazing :) (now that i am done playing with the reeflink)... I did a 40 gallon water change over the weekend to test out the new water changing station. I have been ghost feeding the tank a few flakes of food. 

I added some micro stars a few weeks ago.. and over the weekend I added 5 little hermit crabs and 2 snails. 

I have pulled the trigger on another sump being build by Adam ( Artfully A ) and will not do anything / add anything else. ( Well maybe a zoa or two ). until I swap it out.

Thanks!!

Richie

Edited by Scubaguy

• 1 month later...
(edited)

--- UPDATE ---

Good Morning WAMAS, 

Thought I would check in with an update. 

Slow tank cycling is progressing very well. I have added a clown fish ( DaVinci Grade B ), a Starry Blenny, some clove polyps, some zoas, a few mushrooms, and a small piece of xenia. Water quality has been spot on. The chaeto is the size of a basketball. Lots of life in the fuge.. I will be picking up the new sump from Adam this week. Pictures to follow later in the week. 

Thanks !

Richie

Edited by Scubaguy

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

--- UPDATE ---

Good Morning everyone, Thought I would give you an update of where we are in this process. As many of you read we had a custom sump made and within a week or so of setting up we noticed a leak coming from it. Thanks to Adam from AA, we put a temporary patch on it but it was causing me some lack of sleep. So We had him make a "NEW" custom sump that I will be swapping in this afternoon. 

Here it is... Since my room is a Capitals dedicated "MAN CAVE" had him add the logo to match.. :)

It came out AWESOME!!

post-2634883-0-41237500-1440084103_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-06139200-1440084769_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-32975500-1440084769_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scubaguy

--- UPDATE --- 

Tank is back up and running after swapping out for the new sump. Everything seems stable. Will be checking parameters over the weekend and keeping an eye on everything.. 

Thanks again Adam for the assistance with the sump. Looks awesome.. its a shame to hide it underneath. 

Lets go CAPS!!

Richie

For sure John! The salt crude was building up around the patch. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully things will open back up today. Going to leave things alone over the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Hey Everyone, 

Thought I would let everyone see a picture of the tank. Things have settled down from moving the old sump to the new one. Lost a couple of Cardinal fish and Peppermint shrimp during the transition. Not sure what happened. Maybe had a spike.. I have pretty much have left things alone to smooth out. 

post-2634883-0-58835200-1441992870_thumb.jpg

Hey bud, great build. I love the dimensions. Did you order it from customaquariums.com? If so how do you like it as far as the construction ect. I'm thinking about getting the same tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey bud, great build. I love the dimensions. Did you order it from customaquariums.com? If so how do you like it as far as the construction ect. I'm thinking about getting the same tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!! I do like the tank. The siphon stoppers work as expected. I did the Ultra clear glass on the front and sides. 

One thing that I would have added is another over flow... I feel that i am not getting enough skim off the surface of the tank, so i am going to add another small pump directed upwards to help push it around a bit more... if that makes sense....

Let me know if you want to come over and check it out.

Rich