Coldwater Tank

tpallas

There are some cool things you can do with cold water tanks. Not sure a cold water nano is a good way to go about it though; temps can change pretty quick in smaller bodies of water. 

There are some cool things you can do with cold water tanks. Not sure a cold water nano is a good way to go about it though; temps can change pretty quick in smaller bodies of water. 

With a chiller?? My apartment doesnt get that cold

I've seen some really cool ones on reefcentral I think.  There were a few nanos belonging to people who live on the west coast and just collect locally - anemones and local fish and such.  I don't remember anyone ever saying it was particularly difficult to maintain.

With a chiller?? My apartment doesnt get that cold

I'm just pointing out that smaller bodies of water change much more quickly than larger. I think this is amplified when you're trying to keep a tank chilled and makes it more difficult to keep stable. I dont have anything to base this on other than my own experience of trying to keep tanks at 77-78° in a typical home (I like to keep the house around 72°). 

I'm not too concerned about that. I'd build out of 1" acrylic and have a big enough chiller to ensure no issues. There are lots of nice coldwater nanos.

Not sure the size of the acrylic is going to make much of a difference in that regard. I think it's an awesome project; I've always wanted to have a Garibaldi and there are a number of other awesome critters off the pacific coast.

I'm new to the area and dont know much about how stable the power is here, is that a concern here? 

I haven't even finished my current setup and I already thought about this  :ph34r:. I would love to have a Gulf Signal/Sailfin Blenny nano.

We had a 40g coldwater tank till the chiller went up in smoke.  

We already have a plan for a new one when we get the funds.  A 60g 2ft cube isn't cheap made out of 1" acryllic.

The acrylic will help maintain the temperature but it will also reduce the sweat factor on the outside of the tank.  

Another nice thing now is that there are cold water suppliers.  

Here is a link to the build thread for our old tank http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/176894-dshnarw-coldwater/

Not sure the size of the acrylic is going to make much of a difference in that regard. I think it's an awesome project; I've always wanted to have a Garibaldi and there are a number of other awesome critters off the pacific coast.

I'm new to the area and dont know much about how stable the power is here, is that a concern here? 

I think it depends on locality. I'm in Ballston so our power is rock solid. Other areas aren't so consistent.

I think it depends on locality. I'm in Ballston so our power is rock solid. Other areas aren't so consistent.

Lost power once for less than an hour in 4 years.

While power outages aren't a huge concern in your area, I'd still recommend having a couple of bottles with ice in the freezer at all times, just in case.  Your biggest concern will always be temperature, so that will at least buy you time in the event and, if you don't already keep your freezer full all the time, it'll save you money on the energy bill anyway.

Nice setup!

Found a pretty gangster one:

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm

Steve's tank was always incredible...though I think his advice was often a bit "alarmist", so I'd take some of his concerns with a grain of salt.

I'd be happy to help out however I can, if you have questions.  It's a good time to get into coldwater stuff - the info is out there, and the livestock is becoming somewhat available.

(edited)

Lost power once for less than an hour in 4 years.

The power of the bros is undeniable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by tpallas

I'd be happy to help out however I can, if you have questions. It's a good time to get into coldwater stuff - the info is out there, and the livestock is becoming somewhat available.

Thanks! I think I will be hitting you up soon.

Where did you get your rock from?

Thanks! I think I will be hitting you up soon.

Where did you get your rock from?

I used quartz boulders that I pulled from a local creek and washed off as a base, then covered them with granite cobbles that I collected from beaches in Maine.  Most landscaping places should have similar river rock.

We had a 40g coldwater tank till the chiller went up in smoke.  

We already have a plan for a new one when we get the funds.  A 60g 2ft cube isn't cheap made out of 1" acryllic.

The acrylic will help maintain the temperature but it will also reduce the sweat factor on the outside of the tank.  

Another nice thing now is that there are cold water suppliers.  

Here is a link to the build thread for our old tank http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/176894-dshnarw-coldwater/

the bold underlined above! you want the THICKEST acrylic you can find. ideally 2" thick, which is ridiculously expensive. As far as anything else, I'd have a chiller running at all times with a backup chiller also hooked up that's set to come on if the first one fails (temp rises above certain degree). So also a controller. 

They're great tanks though. And being able to actually collect for it around here... good stuff.

Catalina Goby......one of my top favorite fish. You can keep them in schools. Garibaldi's are cool, the 15" length is the problem.

p-70990-catalina-goby.jpg

Catalina Goby......one of my top favorite fish. You can keep them in schools. Garibaldi's are cool, the 15" length is the problem.

Guess its time to upgrade to a 12' tank Duff, HA!

p-70990-catalina-goby.jpg

John-  I would if I could, I put in the largest tank that would fit down the stairs!

I think a cold water tank would be cool, if you are not trying to grow corals, or if you were growing deep water corals they would not need much light. This would cut down on the heat. If you think about it we all heat our tanks to get them in the 76-79 range. my RODI water sitting in a trashcan right now in the dark is at 65.

If you were able to pull the water away from the lights to a sump, and let the air hit it with out a heater you would probably not need a chiller running all the time. A heater is only there in case it just got too darn cold as a back up.